Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

And here endeth the lesson on why we pull so many posts of speculation on SF.

The Express Group papers have had it brought home to them in the most physical way possible that repeating allegations, but adding the word 'alleged' or putting quote marks around the allegation is NOT a defence against libel claims in a court room.

We are not yet aware of the articles which attracted this case.

Many other papers printed allegations, but have not been sued.

It would be worthwhile to know what was different in the Express/Star articles.

We are not yet aware of the articles which attracted this case.

Many other papers printed allegations, but have not been sued.

It would be worthwhile to know what was different in the Express/Star articles.

In an interview on BBC News 24 a few minutes ago a spokesman for the McCanns said that the reason that the Express group had been chosen for the 'first case' was that they were perceived to be the worst offenders, with over 100 grossly defamatory stories about the couple, whereas many other papers chose to report known facts or a much lower number of 'stories' mixed with known fact.

The Daily Express today takes the unprecedented step of making a front-page apology to Kate and Gerry McCann.

We do so because we accept that a number of articles in the newspaper have suggested that the couple caused the death of their missing daughter Madeleine and then covered it up.

LINK

More like ...

"we do so because a front page apology will sell more newspapers".

I'd be the first to apologise if they hadn't left their children unattended in the first place.

Deliberate or not, they are the reason Madeline is gone.

I dont think anyone could defend those actions, however, leaving your children and activly having involvment in the murder/abduction of your child are poles apart.

They made a huge mistake leaving the children unattended, but for the love of god, dont you think they've paid the ultumate price? ... I would wager threy havent had one day pass sinse maddie disappeared where they havent kicked themselves for leaving the kids unattended.

I dont think anyone could defend those actions, however, leaving your children and activly having involvment in the murder/abduction of your child are poles apart.

They made a huge mistake leaving the children unattended, but for the love of god, dont you think they've paid the ultumate price? ... I would wager threy havent had one day pass sinse maddie disappeared where they havent kicked themselves for leaving the kids unattended.

I agree with you Pinklady, the fact that the children were left unattended has been chewed over for pages and pages, well the papers have got their come-uppance and rightly so, I never believed the parents were guilty of murder, too much speculation has gone OTT

I agree with you Pinklady, the fact that the children were left unattended has been chewed over for pages and pages, well the papers have got their come-uppance and rightly so, I never believed the parents were guilty of murder, too much speculation has gone OTT

This doesn't mean that they definitely didn't do it...

This doesn't mean that they definitely didn't do it...

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Just because you don't believe they did it, doesn't mean that they didn't do it.

No-one has a clue what has happened to Maddie. Its just as likely that the parents had something to do with her disappearance as it is that someone else abducted her and until its proven beyond reasonable doubt what has happened to her, I will continue to sit on the fence about this.

The one thing I think we all agree on though is that if they weren't so irresponsible as to leave the kids alone, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Archived