Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

I don't need a theory to explain my statement that they were negligent, I'll repeat:

"...they left at 20:30, leaving the apartment unlocked, to dine with friends approximately 130 yards (120 metres) away at a tapas bar..."

If you think that's a correct/responsible course of action God help you!

thats not the statement I was asking about - it was the one where you questioned that parents were going back to check on the children.

Hardly a word of condemnation for the thief but loads of criticism for the parents.

AMAZING

The condemnation of the abductor goes without saying, and is clearly not the point of this discussion. If it was, I'm betting it would be very short, and we would all agree...

...which leaves the outstanding issue of whether the parents acted appropriately...

...which is what we are debating...

The condemnation of the abductor goes without saying, and is clearly not the point of this discussion. If it was, I'm betting it would be very short, and we would all agree...

...which leaves the outstanding issue of whether the parents acted appropriately...

...which is what we are debating...

Let me draw a conclusion then;

Some posters think they acted irresponsibly.

Some don't.

Oh believe me, i am anything but heartless. My heart went out to Madelaine, the poor little soul. But i have little or no sympathy for her parents, they left her, and probably left her time and time again. I would never leave my child to go out and have a meal with my friends, i just wouldn't be able to settle!

If the McCanns were unemployed, and on benefits from a council estate, the media would have lambasted them as unfit scroungers who don't deserve to have kids...sad but true.

I quite agree with this comment plus they would have had their other two children taken off them immediately, placed in care and they would now in all probablility be adopted!

and this is the very sad truth of it - all of us , with the benefit of hindsight can see that the choice made was incorrect but at the time the risk for the McCanns was clearly seen as very low.

No, we don't need the benefit of hindsight. The likelyhood of a child being abducted in these circumstances was, and still is, very, very low.

However, there are many, many people who would never, ever leave their children alone in such circumstances. Not because of the risk of abduction, but simply because the child may become ill, have an accident, or simply just wake up, be disorientated and upset. For the last reason alone, our daughter has never been left alone in bed while we are somewhere like "sitting in the garden". (Of course we are not rich enough to have a garden that big).

Archived