Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

Re my bold. I am not familiar with Portuguese law, however, I remember that many people have claimed that leaving young children alone is specifically illegal there.

As if most holidayers to Portugal will know that :roll:

I think it would be interesting to see this reaction in context with the decline in freedoms children have had over the last 50 years from once being able to roam freely unsupervised playing in parks and on the streets to today where children are kept in doors and supervised and nannied to an opposite extreme. I worry we aren't storing up dysfunctional problems for the future by denying children the play and freedom we once experienced.

That is because they are so many evil <REMOVED> out there and children aren't safe anymore like they were when we were growing up. Sad but true

I remember having a great deal of freedom as a kid - but not at the age that Madeleine and her siblings were when she disappeared. I think you are wrong to try and muddy the waters this way.

They acted lawfully. The risk they took in a gated resort with regular checks not so abnormal. But in retrospect obviously a mistake, because of the consequences.

I don't really see what more there is to be said on the subject.

I think what is of interest is the motivation of those that feel the need to blame the parents, and deny them any sympathy. On the face of it, it is an astonishing lack of empathy, but you suspect from capitals often used to make their points and the emotive language used they are making their points from a deeply emotional perspective.

I on the topic that would inform the debate.

There isn't a gated resort, that is the point, the children were left alone in an unlocked apartment, at the side of a busy road. The parents were inside the tapas bar, wher you show your card to enter.

iTS AMazinG how poeple arE so amUsing when fAced wiTh debate. Please take debate in the context that it is meant. I enjoy a good arguement, but I wont get into personal word games for fun. My opinion is as valued as yours, which incidentally, are both amusing in their own right.

and yes, WE did have a bad caravan experience......

They acted lawfully. The risk they took in a gated resort with regular checks not so abnormal. But in retrospect obviously a mistake, because of the consequences.

I don't really see what more there is to be said on the subject.

I think what is of interest is the motivation of those that feel the need to blame the parents, and deny them any sympathy. On the face of it, it is an astonishing lack of empathy, but you suspect from capitals often used to make their points and the emotive language used they are making their points from a deeply emotional perspective.

Which I find very odd coming from people who have no connection. I mean empathy is one one thing but to rant as if somehow you feel you're actually debating with a very close pain stricken relative..or almost as if the highly charged debater is trying to take on a persona of the child in limbo. I find it a little creepy to be honest and verges on hysteria.

That is because they are so many evil <REMOVED> out there and children aren't safe anymore like they were when we were growing up. Sad but true

I can't think of any good reason to think that would be true. Deviant human behaviour has always been with us. I can't think of any good reason to believe we went from child prostitutes in victorian times to suddenly being a wonderful world without any deviant behaviour and a notable moral decline more recently.

What is more likely is that crime like domestic violence and worse was unreported. People suffered in silence.

I remember having a great deal of freedom as a kid - but not at the age that Madeleine and her siblings were when she disappeared. I think you are wrong to try and muddy the waters this way.

I think semi supervised play and being left alone whilst the parent popped to the shop is not that uncommon now let alone then. A few pages ago people were talking about their experiences of Butlins and didn't someone say that is the way Mark Warner have supervised children on holiday up until the last few years.

Is that on this thread or a suggestion to the McCanns?

I think a mixture of good intentions and exploitation of them for column space has done them no good whatsoever. I think the media should have handled the story more responsibly and I think the public should be more responsible in their demand and consumption of newspapers covering them.

I think the McCann's reaction understandable, but it clearly has contributed to the media circus that I think has done them and their family additional damage. But in the circumstances I think you would have to be a cruel person to actually blame them.

It sounds trite but the fault lies with society.

Archived