Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

You can't name them, because there hasn't been the same media coverage. Perhaps there isn't the same 'mileage' (money wise) in it for the papers?

That was my point. Its so hypocritical of the papers to pretend they give a damn when they clearly don't, otherwise some of these other missing children (and there will be many) would have received some coverage.

True, but how many other children who have gone missing in the past 28 days can you name? Why should they not warrant the same media coverage?

I agree totally. Why was she picked out as being the one requiring the attention? I hate to sound cynical and (possibly) unfeeling, but may it have something to do with her dad having an important, highish flying job?

I think the difference is that Madeleine was abducted, in a clearly targeted manner for (probably) the worst of all reasons; many kids go 'missing', leave home for many reasons. Many of these kids are found, intact, relatively quickly. Some are not. Madelein's parents are using the media symbiotically; they get the coverage, the papers get their sales.

Originally Posted by Stormy

True, but how many other children who have gone missing in the past 28 days can you name? Why should they not warrant the same media coverage?

I agree totally. Why was she picked out as being the one requiring the attention? I hate to sound cynical and (possibly) unfeeling, but may it have something to do with her dad having an important, highish flying job?

I think you could be right, as i think it has already been said if this was some, for want of a better phrase 'rough family living on a council estate' im 100% sure the media coverage would be a whole lot different to what it has been

No. Just a thought. But as I said, why her?!

I also believe the child was targeted. But more likely by someone who noticed the parents were lax about watching their kids. This was definitely a crime of opportunity.

:) Sierra

It's a shame that we can't continue from the original thread as all these are arguments about why Madeliene was single out and not others, and how the media have manipulated this story essentially for their own ends, uncalled for critism of the Porugeuese police and sloppy journalism have all been discussed on that thread.

I'm not sure if you have read the posts on the original thread Becky (not meant to be a dig) but the general feeling was that the media has created a bigger story than it needed to be right from the start. Many have also expressed concern over the misreporting of solid facts and uncalled for critism of the Portuguese police. Many also don't agree with the "fighting fund" that was set up for Madeleine because it detracts from other causes which go to help the many rather than just one individual. Despite all these critism against the media most if not all want Madeleine found safe and well and soon.

No. Just a thought. But as I said, why her?!

Because of how 'ordinary' the circumstances were. I'd love to know how many parents have done the identical thing. Guards get let down on holiday. We think we are in happy Laa Laa land where nothing can happen. I detect an underlying feeling in some of the reporting that because they are a professional couple they 'should have known better'. How many of your friends/colleagues have voiced that opinion??

Archived