Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

Arghhhh (screams) they know they made a mistake .

The system of checking that they employed was the same that used by thousands of parents previously without incident

They judged it to be safe - it wasn't

In the same way as those parents whose child was taken out of their caravan (having left a window open for air) thought it would be safe - and it wasn't.

In the same way that the grandma of Ben Needham thought it was safe to leave him alone for a second - and it wasn't.

In the same way that Millie Dowlings parents thought that it was safe to let their child travel home from school alone - and it wasn't.

BUt for many many many other parents - it was.

Those parents for whom the stats worked against them have my every sympathy and always will. There were no deliberate acts of neglect in any of these cases .

Different cases different scenarios.

your wrong ,by leaving children unattended when there was no need is a deliberate act of neglect and no matter how the McAnns or you or people like you try to whitewash it will not change that fact.

To be perfectlty honest my personal view on the case matters not in respect of neglect simply because I do not believe the story of a mysterious invisible abductor,

...they know they made a mistake...

Not really debatable, we all know that too.

...In the same way that Millie Dowlings parents thought that it was safe to let their child travel home from school alone...

Not comparable. Silly fatuous link of circumstances that smacks of "clutching at straws".

The system of checking that they employed was the same that used by thousands of parents previously without incident

In the same way as those parents whose child was taken out of their caravan (having left a window open for air) thought it would be safe - and it wasn't.

In the same way that the grandma of Ben Needham thought it was safe to leave him alone for a second - and it wasn't.

In the same way that Millie Dowlings parents thought that it was safe to let their child travel home from school alone - and it wasn't.

Those parents for whom the stats worked against them have my every sympathy and always will. There were no deliberate acts of neglect in any of these cases .

Ben Needham and Millie Dowling were normal calculated "risks" that were highly unlikely, most parents have let go of their child's hand for a moment, most 15 year old girls walk home from school. I feel deeply sorry for these people.

Most sane parents don't leave children under five. An accident could have happened to any one of those children and Madeline would have been left to deal with it.

My opinion is that tragically it did, the McCann's knew people would berate them for neglect, so unwisely they started this "child down the well" story. Now they can't stop it and if they did people would hate them. I think they do believe it themselves. Guilt does very funny things to people and those who are guilty shout loudest.

Re bold. A system that many thousands of parents would never countenance.

The McCanns situation was very different from each of the others you have mentioned. Abduction was unlikely in all cases. We do not know what happened to Madeleine.

Regardless of the risk of abduction, which was minute in all of the cases, the risks of accident, wandering off or just being frightened due to lack of a parent are more important in the case of the McCann children.

madasfish reminds me of something Abe once said:

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

"fishy" is obviously some of the people "all the time". ;)

Ben Needham and Millie Dowling were normal calculated "risks" that were highly unlikely, most parents have let go of their child's hand for a moment, most 15 year old girls walk home from school. I feel deeply sorry for these people.

Most sane parents don't leave children under five. An accident could have happened to any one of those children and Madeline would have been left to deal with it.

My opinion is that tragically it did, the McCann's knew people would berate them for neglect, so unwisely they started this "child down the well" story. Now they can't stop it and if they did people would hate them. I think they do believe it themselves. Guilt does very funny things to people and those who are guilty shout loudest.

Millie Dowling was 13 (not that that changes anything).

As previously stated (over and over) THOUSANDS of parents used the childlistening services at holiday resorts with no incident for many years.

Re bold. A system that many thousands of parents would never countenance.

The McCanns situation was very different from each of the others you have mentioned. Abduction was unlikely in all cases. We do not know what happened to Madeleine.

Regardless of the risk of abduction, which was minute in all of the cases, the risks of accident, wandering off or just being frightened due to lack of a parent are more important in the case of the McCann children.

But thousands of parents have used it - to no ill effect.

Turning your back for a minute in broad daylight is not the same as a deliberate act of going out and leaving your children alone, they knew it was wrong but did it anyway. these are supposed to be clever people:roll:

I wonder if all those banging on about neglect on here would've reported the McCanns and their friends for leaving their kids alone if they'd been at the same resort.....?

And I wonder if they will also report the many cases of child abuse seen on our city streets on any day of the week. Children left in the care of those drinking heavily or taking drugs, children being screamed at for no good reason, children being hit by their inadequate parents on a daily basis?

The reality is most people turn a blind eye to this type of neglect, and obviously many people did in that resort in PDL.

Archived