Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

...The McCanns have had their "fame".

Your sympathy should be with the poor deserted child on that awful night.

Whatever your view on the way the media circus has evolved around the parents, and the way they've handled it, surely you have some compassion for a couple who've lost their child? That you think they care only for themselves suggests perhaps not.

We care about the parents because we're human. I'm afraid that the child is probably already beyond care.

You know, it's not really a black and white issue. People who are criticising the McCanns are justifiably angry at what they did. However, I'd like to think that while some people have taken an extreme line the majority of those who are critical can still empathasise with the family. That said I stick with the view that there should be a formal investigation of the parents conduct because a child could be dead because of it.

I don't know if the social services will look into the McCanns when they come back to England but I do know that social services are taking children away from their parents daily but of course these are mainly from families on benefits, single mums etc. You don't tend to hear of children being taken away from professionals or people with money.

If social services don't look into the McCann case the McCann's can think themselves very lucky as I can assure you had they not been professionals then I honestly do not think they would have had the same treatment. If they had been on benefits then they would have been treated completely differently and social services would be at the airport waiting for their arrival with a protection order on the two other children.

My heart goes out to Madeleine and to whatever that poor child has gone through.

im fearing from the latest news today tbh

they have a letter sent to a dutch newspaper saying where shes buried, unfortunately its supposedly from the same person who sent them info last year of the whereabouts of 2 missing belgian children, their bodies were found not far away from where it said.

i sincerely hope the letters a hoax...or wrong

Yet another non news story that really isn't deserving of attention.

This non news item has gotten at least 2 tabloids to feature it as their headline story, the Mirror and the Express. :huh:

The Mirror headline outrageously reads "Buried under rocks".

This letter is supposed to have been penned from a phycic medium,time will tell if this letter is credible, but for newspapers even tabloids to make a headline from a phycic medium's letter beggars belief!

And you can't exactly call it a slow news day either! Palestine is at war, Lebanon bomb kills 10,including minister, the discovery of the 2 teenage sisters stabbed to death in Cambridgeshire.

You could say the same for someone who murders their own child, would you suggest that they weren't prosecuted either? Drivers who kill when unfit to drive have to live with the consequences of their crimes but they're still punished.

What they did was to put their social life before the welfare of their children. Their selfish action allowed this to happen, they abandoned their children for no good reason. They should be held to account for their crime. If a child-care professional displayed the same lack of care leading to the same outcome then you can bet they'd have the book thrown at them, so why not parents?

It's up to the judge to decide what weight to give to their suffering when considering a sentence. Their suffering doesn't change the fact that they were criminally negligent.

[edit] By the way, let's stop calling what they did a mistake, they took a conscious decision to leave the children alone. That's not a mistake, it's negligence.

But what punishment would you like them to have, that is worse than the punishment of losing their daughter?

I beg to differ, I think it could be a very serious development. I've read the report in "De Telegraaf" and the investigation is being taken very seriously. Sniffer dogs are in action and a towel found in the vicinity has been taken away for forensic examination. It could be a hoax but the directions in the letter look rather specific to me. How often on such a happening, widespread searches are made and then the body is found 'under their noses'.

I just have a feeling it could be the most significant lead so far, though I could be wrong!

I beg to differ, I think it could be a very serious development. I've read the report in "De Telegraaf" and the investigation is being taken very seriously. Sniffer dogs are in action and a towel found in the vicinity has been taken away for forensic examination. It could be a hoax but the directions in the letter look rather specific to me. How often on such a happening, widespread searches are made and then the body is found 'under their noses'.

I just have a feeling it could be the most significant lead so far, though I could be wrong!

I would have expected sniffer dogs to have been used around the whole area weeks ago!!!!

I would have expected sniffer dogs to have been used around the whole area weeks ago!!!!

I would agree but

"Zoektocht met speurhonden na tip Maddie

door Johan van den Dongen en Coen Springelkamp

PORTIMÃO (PORTUGAL) - Rechercheurs van de Portugese politie gaan vandaag met speurhonden zoeken naar de Engelse Maddie op de plaats die aangegeven staat op het kaartje dat naar De Telegraaf is gestuurd."

Speurhonden are gun dogs and the fact that it is in title (Search trip with sniffer dogs after Maddie tip) suggests an innovation. Makes me wonder if this area has been searched before? I'm afraid I share PT's fears.

Archived