Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

Not at all Ms Macbeth. A few of us are a little sad that it has come to this, and that the press sensation is the nastiest thing to come out of this event. :( It smacks of the nonsense that surrounded Diana, and made up for a summer with no real news.

The whole thing is very very odd

I totally agree. Whoever is right or wrong here has no bearing on what happened to the missing child, and that surely the fact that she is still missing is more important than scoring points! I've tried to keep an open mind about the whole scenario, and will continue to do so until something factual is reported.

The saddest thing for me on the thread is the almost pleased reaction from some people to the suggestion that the parents might have had a hand in her disappearance.

I can assure you its not a pleased reaction but a reaction on how gullible some people can be when anything like this happens.

In the world of fiction you are often required to believe a premise which you would never accept in the real world. Especially in genres such as fantasy and science fiction, things happen in the story which you would not believe even if they were presented as fact. In more real-world genres such as action movies, the action routinely goes beyond the boundaries of what you think could really happen.

In order to enjoy such stories, the audience engages in a phenomenon known as "suspension of disbelief". This is a semi-conscious decision in which you put aside your disbelief and accept the premise as being real for the duration of the story.

This would appear to be so in the sad, sorry saga of Madeleine. Only one thing truly matters...........that Madeleine is found, hopefully alive and if not, that the perpetrator(s) are brought to justice.

It's all very mysterious.

My questions would be:

- If she was killed accidentally, why would they cover it up?

- If she was killed by her parents (either intentionally or by accident), how would they know of somewhere to conceal the body where it could not be found? How familiar are they with the surroundings? Have they visited there before? How far into their holiday were they?

- If they had killed her accidentally surely they would have been more visibly shaken prior to the time they reported their daughter's disappearance? Surely those they had a meal with would have noticed some difference in them?

Apparently there are a series of questions the police want to ask the parents but cannot do so unless they are officially declared suspects - which seems to be the reason they are taking this step. Also there are apparently some discrepencies between the account given by Kate McCann and that told by her husband.

Unless this little girl can be found, either dead or alaive, then I don't think we'll ever know what happened and who was responsible.

I still think it's just a procedure, they follow in portugal, that if the slightest thing fingers the smallest link to a person that they must be named suspect to protect the persons rights etc. Hubby did however say the same statement about ifs and shoulds and if it was to become a realty, is it at all ossible Portugal was chosen because of the policing and strange, slow legal system. I saw Madalines uncle on the news earlier, stating they just want all cards on table, ask all questions etc, then move on and find the real criminal and Kate's father looked so unwell (bless him.) I so hope this is sorted properly soon and desperately hope she's still alive.

I think the parents are not guilty of any crime other than being neglectful by leaving their 3 children unattended/unsupervised properly.

I said the same on my first post on this thread.

What mother would go through IVF treatment to have children and be involved in the disappearance, or worse, than one of them?

It makes no sense that could ever happen.

It doesn't. I doubt very much that if they were to be responsible for Madelines death, that it would be intentional (then again I couldn't comprehend how that father jumped off the 4th floor hotel balcony with his kids either). I wouldn't rule out the idea that some horrible accident happened to Madeline and the McCanns chose to try to cover it up rather than come clean because they felt they'd be blamed in some way. I wouldn't rule out that Madeline was abducted either.. I hope the latter is the case and that she's alive, unharmed and will be reunited with her parents soon.

I think calling someone a "suspect" could have different meanings in different countries, in the US now, they don't use the word suspect in most cases now, they are called "persons of interest" calling someone a suspect when all they want to do is bring them in for questioning or "more" questioning can lead to law-suits.

Not at all Ms Macbeth. A few of us are a little sad that it has come to this, and that the press sensation is the nastiest thing to come out of this event. :( It smacks of the nonsense that surrounded Diana, and made up for a summer with no real news.

The whole thing is very very odd

I think that's the only thing that can be said with any certainty at this point.

Whatever's happened, it's such a nightmare situation for everyone involved - it must be like all your worst nightmares possibly coming true

It's almost too tragic to comprehend

StarSparkle

ITA StarSparkle.

I also think that the media is good at presenting trial without jury. Speculation, however carefully worded to avoid legal liability, etc, is just that. The influence such speculation and hype can have upon everyone is extremely powerful - even when we maybe think of ourselves of being above it.

I guess I want to keep an open mind. If my gut feeling that Kate and Gerry are innocent is wrong...fine. I don't have a problem with that at all and certainly won't feel the need to eat any humble pie, as one of the previous posters suggested.

I'm also aware that throughout history it has been known that parents, or those very close within a family, have killed/abused a child. It's usually the first thing the police look at.

In addition, we can all remember classsic examples of offenders like Ian Huntley, for example, being actively helpful in searches, etc etc, including being in the media eye.

With all of this knowledge and the Portugease secrecy laws, it's not hard to understand why some see the McCanns as the suspects.

Nevertheless, I'm still convinced that being open minded is the best way forward to look at this tragic and nightmarish situation.

Archived