Madeleine McCann allegedly abducted in Portugal (2) The press apologise.

She's just one child, no different to the thousands of other children who go missing or are murdered each year. Why should we stop the world for this one and not the others? Why does this case raise a £million when some others barely make the news?

It does seem odd dosen't it ? there's hundreds of kids go missing every day in the USA, yet this is front page news over here just as much as it is in the UK, CNN gives an update on the story, then goes onto the war in Iraq :confused:

It's funny how we've all suddenly become police investigative experts ,and some can critise the police investigation when really they have no knowledge or experience of how a police investigation really works

Much of it seems to have arisen because of the Portuguese police being forbidden from releasing any details of how their investigation is progressing; the media are quite happy to assume that means the investigation is NOT progressing, when for all we know they might already have enough evidence to be on the point of a conviction. We simply don't know how they're getting on.

I always remember this particular case too when there's a case of a disappearance or something similar, and something just doesn't feel quite right (beyond the obvious). You can't put your finger on it, but you know there's something very wrong. I remember watching the boyfriend in the case above give an appeal on the news for witnesses/help for the police, etc at the time - and having this really weirded out feeling about it, the whole thing just felt wrong. He turned out to be the murderer...

Unfortunately, I've had that feeling of 'something not being quite right' about the Madeleine case from the very beginning.

It's all so very sad, it really is a tragedy all round, whatever has happened.

StarSparkle

Couldn't remember his name at all but remembered she was called Rachel and a student(which i was at the time)

Have finally found this about a Documentary made about it called 'i love you to death.'

This is a direct quote from IMDB:

Absorbing documentary about New Zealand student John Tanner who strangled his girlfriend Rachel in a lover's tiff and hid her body under the floorboards of her Oxford student house while coldly lying to police about their final time together and even appearing on Crimewatch UK appealing for help finding her.

I was at University in 1991 when this was in the news and the case was all the more unsettling as her distraught flat mates were walking over her corpse for 2 weeks before the police smelled a rat and arrested Tanner. Female students I knew at the time were particularly freaked out by the incident.

When arrested Tanner stated that he had had to "destroy that which I loved most" and his icy, calculating manner was witnessed on TV when he participated in reenactments of their final hours together and appealed to the public at a press conference.

END QUOTE

Can't remember the name of the guy who murdered his daughter... I can just remember him constantly appearing on the television.

Another child to remember - I never realised that they never caught anyone for the murder of Millie Dowler.

Another child to remember - I never realised that they never caught anyone for the murder of Millie Dowler.

And it was only recently that someone was put on trial (the first accused was shown to be innocent after he spent 16 years inside) for the murder of Lesley Molseed back in 1975.

Many of these crimes go unsolved for a very long time. :(

Much of it seems to have arisen because of the Portuguese police being forbidden from releasing any details of how their investigation is progressing; the media are quite happy to assume that means the investigation is NOT progressing

True, and you've also got the media trying to second guess what the police are actually about to do, when really they don't have any clue and when their "sources" don't come from the men in charge. How many times in recent weeks have we've seen reported in the press both British and Portuguese,

"Days away from arrests" or "Police are about to make arrest in Britain" or "Police close to breakthrough" or the "investigation is entering a decisive stage." Media speculation fuelled by the need to generate stories to "sell" their papers certainly doesn't help the Portuguses police in anyway with their investigations. In today's Daily Mail (I only brought it because of the free Blue Planet DVD) they had an article, referring to Kate Mccaan's interview entitled "Questions Police May Have Asked"..... says it all really! An article based on total speculation and no solid fact!:suspect:

I remember when I was studying many moons ago when my tutor quite rightly told me, there's no point in writing down what you think might or might not have happened, you won't get any marks for hypothesizing, you need to tell what "Did" happen.

Whoever wrote that Daily Mail article certainly wouldn't have made it out of journalism school if he/she had my tutor schooling them.

I say let the Portuguese police get on with their jobs ,and impose a complete news blackout until something is worthy of reporting such as an arrest or the discovery of Madeleine, and I don't mean those silly "sightings" either!:suspect:

Couldn't remember his name at all but remembered she was called Rachel and a student(which i was at the time)

Have finally found this about a Documentary made about it called 'i love you to death.'

This is a direct quote from IMDB:

Absorbing documentary about New Zealand student John Tanner who strangled his girlfriend Rachel in a lover's tiff and hid her body under the floorboards of her Oxford student house while coldly lying to police about their final time together and even appearing on Crimewatch UK appealing for help finding her.

I was at University in 1991 when this was in the news and the case was all the more unsettling as her distraught flat mates were walking over her corpse for 2 weeks before the police smelled a rat and arrested Tanner. Female students I knew at the time were particularly freaked out by the incident.

When arrested Tanner stated that he had had to "destroy that which I loved most" and his icy, calculating manner was witnessed on TV when he participated in reenactments of their final hours together and appealed to the public at a press conference.

END QUOTE

Can't remember the name of the guy who murdered his daughter... I can just remember him constantly appearing on the television.

Just found this information about the case. Interesting way of catching him out.

http://archive.thenorthernecho.co.uk/2004/1/27/63626.html

Just found this information about the case. Interesting way of catching him out.

http://archive.thenorthernecho.co.uk/2004/1/27/63626.html

Thanks for that Jess. I remember hearing at the time that the police had manipulated the media to help them in their investigations. They did the same with Huntley as well. Quite often these people who get off on the celebrity will hang themselves if given enough rope. Sometimes it goes wrong, the Rachel Nickell case was a prime example of that but it also worked in the father/daughter case as well.

(p.s. Weird typo by the paper about fat bottomed ladies pics at the bottom!)

I say let the Portuguese police get on with their jobs ,and impose a complete news blackout until something is worthy of reporting such as an arrest or the discovery of Madeleine, and I don't mean those silly "sightings" either!:suspect:

Amen! All this constant media attention is not helpful, and does nothing but create speculation.

She's just one child, no different to the thousands of other children who go missing or are murdered each year. Why should we stop the world for this one and not the others? Why does this case raise a £million when some others barely make the news?

Er, I think you'll find I was being a touch sarcastic...

Archived