Whither the Pump Tavern

Anyone else remember "Auntie Pump"? She was another of those post war pub landladies in the same traditional mould as Mrs Jenkins at the Nursery Tavern, that battleaxe at the Albion, the grande dame of the Rising Sun, Abbey Lane, and the ladies who used to keep the orginal Mulberry Tavern and the Olde Blue Bell on the High Street.

They ran their houses with rods of iron, expected and got respect from staff and customers alike and had their little foibles and whims, like refusing to serve a lady beer in a pint glass, or even to serve a woman at the bar at all :D. I wonder what they'd make of things these days :o

Anyone else remember "Auntie Pump"? She was another of those post war pub landladies in the same traditional mould as Mrs Jenkins at the Nursery Tavern, that battleaxe at the Albion, the grande dame of the Rising Sun, Abbey Lane, and the ladies who used to keep the orginal Mulberry Tavern and the Olde Blue Bell on the High Street.

They ran their houses with rods of iron, expected and got respect from staff and customers alike and had their little foibles and whims, like refusing to serve a lady beer in a pint glass, or even to serve a woman at the bar at all :D. I wonder what they'd make of things these days :o

I remember her. She was unique in the fact that she could keep all the ash on her fag until she stubbed it out.

Can I throw in a memory from long ago when the Pump Tavern was on the Moor roughly in front of the area it is,or was now?I don't live in Sheffield now.EveryWednesday night was when all the gay WMC entertainers,Billy Wells, Freddie Talbot,Tony Whyte and many more all gathered in what was called the "Best" room in those days and put on an impromptu concert, you had to get there early to get a seat those nights were so popular, and there were piles of sandwiches etc provided free,lots of songs, jokes, a real good time a piano too, many a happy memory from those days, and remember homosexuality was illegal at time so they could all get together and have a good time, along with everyone else without too much fuss.

My apologies about the history lesson but it is a very happy memory

Can I throw in a memory from long ago when the Pump Tavern was on the Moor roughly in front of the area it is,or was now?I don't live in Sheffield now.EveryWednesday night was when all the gay WMC entertainers,Billy Wells, Freddie Talbot,Tony Whyte and many more all gathered in what was called the "Best" room in those days and put on an impromptu concert, you had to get there early to get a seat those nights were so popular, and there were piles of sandwiches etc provided free,lots of songs, jokes, a real good time a piano too, many a happy memory from those days, and remember homosexuality was illegal at time so they could all get together and have a good time, along with everyone else without too much fuss.

My apologies about the history lesson but it is a very happy memory

Don't apolgise, that's a great tale, and they sound like they were fun nights.

Thank you for your comments drinkingman,I did not want to sound like an old codger,I know I am one but don't want it to get around!!!!!

Yes they were really good nights,the entertainer Freddie Talbot was always immaculately dressed in fact the all were, he was always was in a threepiece made to measure suit, and his trade mark was a beautiful spotless white fedora hat, the type worn by American gangsters in the 20s and 30s.

The humour was broad but never coarse or obscene and no foul language and as you can imagine in the company plenty of double-entrede !!

I think the entertainer Billy Wells,nickname"Mother"Wells, died a very tragic death, suffering a heart attack and falling into an open fire, perhaps someone can enlighten me.Thanks again mate

Archived