Ponds Forge Lane Swimming "Availability"

I am moving back to Sheffield for the summer and was going to get the unlimited thing for the initial three months before moving back to uni.

I may be working in B&Q and otherwise I will be working somewhere in town; either way I don't know what my hours will be though I would prefer to swim (lanes, naturally) before work, which I am prepared to do early mornings for.

However, I have never partaken in anything of this pool's scale before and don't know when the pool is really busy, or if it ever gets really busy, or what. To be perfectly honest I don't even know how lane swimming "works" as the uni pool I have used a few times was always empty and I therefore had a run of the place and there was never any shared lanes or lanes being waited for or anything that I imagine may happen "in real life".

I have knee issues (pitiful seeing as I'm 20) which my doctor suggested swimming to aid, so I really "need" to do this and as I live on the back of city road, there isn't particularly an alternative pool for me.

I have only ever used that part of the center when I was at school getting free swimming lessons on a tuesday night and that is easily ten years since and we only took up the bit nearest to the changing room so as I say I have no idea. I feel a bit of a nob admitting this but I'd rather learn now than make some faux pas in person... lol

Someone please enlighten me!

Thanks!!! :help:

When I used to go early morning lane swimming at Pond's Forge, it was fairly busy from opening. However, there are quite a few lanes open and was usually 2 to lane. There are fast and slow lanes dependent on swimming speed (to avoid crashes). Upon getting in, it makes sense to wait until the other person is at the other side of the lane so you cross over somewhere in the middle.

Hope this helps

If you join the Fitness Unlimited at £22-99 per month you can use all the fascilities including swimming any time of day so long as you are in before 3pm.If you are working at B&Q maybe you could get it cheaper,I should ask.

its worth going as its a great pool.

Only thing that anoyed me was the lack of lanes open at times they try and cram you into a few lanes sometimes its great going when they have the 50m lanes open though.

S10 looks to be more expensive and futher away. It looks like I may be working somewhere near Hallam Uni now as I had a reply from course-related enquiries I made a while ago, and I like to walk everywhere so the faster I can traverse the better!

I did just realise that I haven't yet been suggested a best time to go, if anyone knows of one? The page of what lanes are open clearly states that off peak is always 25m, I suppose my hours would dictate if mornings was even an option. Am I to assume later on is even busier than the busy mornings or what? I don't suppose its much of a fuss either way now i know the times :cool:

I must say I am very impressed with this forum's fast response and the supremacy of the help. I am continually greatfull!!!

Archived