Penguin pub early 1980s?

Not the easiest place for me to get to but I did go quite often. Could never understand why the owners suddenly stopped putting rock bands on as their profits must of dropped drastically. If you missed the bus back into the city centre though it was a hell of a long walk so I was grateful that I'd got friends living on Parson Cross so could be offered a floor to sleep on.

You guys obviously never saw Phillys on the piano. She hit the keys so hard the piano rocked!!

Harry the waiter's rendition of 'Rawhide' was not to be missed at the end of the night. Those were the days at the Penguin round about 1959/1960!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Used to go in quite often think it was Thursday nights they usually had rock bands on I remember a really good band called FireClown they were from Manchester I think they played quite often wonder what happened to them.

My ex boyfriends mates also had a band called Black Mariah they played there too they went down really well but split up soon after!

We were the promoters up at the Penguin back then. Me and a guy called Cliff. It seems such a long time ago now. The landlord then was a guy called Alan. The biggest act we had up there were John Ottoway and Wild Willy Barrett who had a top ten hit with a song called 'really free'. Is there still a stage in there does anyone know?

We were the promoters up at the Penguin back then. Me and a guy called Cliff. It seems such a long time ago now. The landlord then was a guy called Alan. The biggest act we had up there were John Ottoway and Wild Willy Barrett who had a top ten hit with a song called 'really free'. Is there still a stage in there does anyone know?

i remember cliff he was also the dj played some great music. what is your name wonder if i can remember you

i remember cliff he was also the dj played some great music. what is your name wonder if i can remember you

Yes, he also had a mobile disco, 'the cliff s*** roadshow'. I'm not posting any surnames on here. I'm Andy. Back then I was a 6'5" beanpole with curly hair. I knew most of the regulars up there back then, but its so long ago I forget names. What I do remember is that there was never any trouble and the place had no bouncers. Cliff lived close to the Penguin and had a big dulux dog, soft as a brush it was, can't remember the dogs name either.

Yes, he also had a mobile disco, 'the cliff s*** roadshow'. I'm not posting any surnames on here. I'm Andy. Back then I was a 6'5" beanpole with curly hair. I knew most of the regulars up there back then, but its so long ago I forget names. What I do remember is that there was never any trouble and the place had no bouncers. Cliff lived close to the Penguin and had a big dulux dog, soft as a brush it was, can't remember the dogs name either.

yes i remember you, you both did a lot for local rock bands bet it was never appreciated though.

still i had some of the best times up there , thanks

Archived