Penguin pub early 1980s?

I remember the Penguin being built on the site of the old wartime static water tank - it was about 1958 I think - we lived in Kepple Road and below where the Penguin is today there was a ravine that was filled with waste around the 52-56 period. This was our childhood playground. After our wedding and reception in 1964 the assembled party of family and friends went to the Penguin before seeing us off on our honeymoon - so fond memories, we were happy and still are!

• 6 months later...

I played there in 1988 I believe it was with my band "Short Circuit", we supported another local band "The Stunt kites" who were a great bunch. both bands were punk and the evening was great. i have a picture somewhere with that beautiful flocked wallpaper in the background.

Good Times!

We started off promoting the bands at the Penguin, then managed a couple of local bands and eventually set up a record label, and put out Geddes Axes first EP. Wasn't really in it for the money, I was 20 in 1980 and I just loved the music and being involved in it all. I have brilliant memories from this period. My mother bumped into Cliff some months ago in town, so I know he's still around somewhere. Any forum members in a band/play the Penguin back then?

my mum and dad really do try to make it a nice pub its just those few idiots that try and spoil it ,they used to have the sicey before it got knocked down.

I'll have to pop in.

didnt realise it had changed hands as ive not been in for about 7years.

i had heard it had all changed.

• 11 months later...

Archived