Memories of the early seventies

Originally posted by nsiebert

Are the markets still there.

I had a Saturday job while I was at school, in the indoor market, the one that they moved from the outside.

I sold mens clothing and used to get old men come over to me, being only young and in those days mens trousers used to come in different leg measurements, and they used to want me to measure them up for trousers, I was not amused.

I have fond memories of those days.

indoor market is now a car park

Goldenfleece- nice to see you on this thread. I recall our mutual loathing of the Underclass on "Sheffield Chavs" thread. Re the Wimpy Bar you mention, yes there was one at the top of the Moor. It was there in the mid-eighties I recall, as I used to pop in there with my then girlfriend at lunchtimes. It was just down from Pinstone Street [i think], at the top of the Moor.

Back to the seventies, more memories; Sutherland Road swimming baths [with the infamous Mr Scott, the attendant with the penchant for pushing kids in to the "deep end"], Bradleys Records, going to the Golden Dragon and Zing Va Chinese Restaurants and thinking they were exotic [ha ha], buses going down the Moor, the dj regularly playing "Rose Garden" at Bramall Lane, Shoreham Barmy Army, Hillsborough [ugh...] Park Show, Rivelin Valley in the summer sunshine, Millhouses "lido", the opening of The Crucible [my Nan insisted on calling it "The Cubicle"], Playing football on Concord Park, and sledging down the park Golf course in the snow, "egging" in Woolley Woods and the countryside up to Thorpe Hesley [hunting for birds' eggs- obviously not to be recommended], fighting with Shiregreeners on Wincobank Hill, Playing on Maycock's Field, Wincobank-do you remember this field Tara, Nadine and Cycleracer? Just below Hinde House up to around 73, when it was built over. You could gain entry from Fife Street.

I can remember the buses going up the Moor, they were the ones with the door at the back and the little platform, why do I remember them? I threw up on one that's why right in mum's shopping bag and she wouldn't let me go into Redgates that at that time was on the Moor.

Also the co-op at the bottom of Cemetary road which supplied us all with those dreadfull school uniforms, that was a shopping trip I hated.

Also in the early 60's every christmas there was a santa's grotto probably were the Manpower Services Building now stands at the bottom of the Moor, it used to have fountains lit up with coloured lights.

Also before Millhouses had it's lido rebuilt into two pools it used to be one big rectangular one with what seemed like HUGE diving platforms, I know I got pushed in the deep end which had me terrified of water for about the next twelve years.

Carter Knowle Junior school and taking every newspaper I could lay my hands on so they could sell the paper and get the money to build a swimming pool, strange as at that point I still didn't like getting my head wet, though I did learn to swim in that pool but then it was only about four feet deep.

Do we all have rose tinted spectacles or was life somehow better back then?

Originally posted by kirky

dempsey's clothes shop on the park hill flats (now housing office) if you were a pikey and your dad was on the dole you'd get vouchers for shoes and clothes for school.......i got my first star jumper from their:D

dempseys also had a shop opposite the park hill flats, on duke street, during the 1960's to what must have been the early 80's on the big green tenement block (I think it was called "crown Place, it was definitely called crown something-or other) it was knocked down in the mid 1980's , around the same time that the huge tenement block at the top of bard street was demolished, and the rest of the blocks there on bard st, old. st and school st (i think) were refurb-ed.

I got my first pair of shoes from dempseys, they were white, t-bar "sandals" the style with the sole that ran in a curve, round, right up the back of the heel. "dandy-steps", they were called. (this memory dates from the early mid sixties)

on that same blockof shops, on duke street, where teh post ofice used to be, and dempseys etc, there was a decorating shop, called blaskeys. I believe there is only one balskeys in existence, these days, in the firth park area. I remember them being all over the shop the had branches along infirmary road, in the hole in the road, firth park,

Back on topic...

re taking vouchcers to Dempseys...

I remember the mid/ late 70's , and having to go with a letter to a place in the orchard building, beside the fountain precinct, in the education dept, to collect your "allocation" of school uniform, and the cattle market that it was with everyone crammed into this small room, like a "quartermasters store" whilst these elderly women scurried back and forth into the cubboards fetching out clothing that they thought would fit you, in your school uniform colours.

I remember feeling the humiliation, a few years further down the line, taking my lad and his half-brother to the same place, to obtain some school clothing for them. the women seemed the same, and I felt such shame, and felt as if these women were sneering at us, because we were reduced to getting the school clothing for our lads from them.

I have heard that you are hard pressed, these days even to obtain your entitlement to the free school meals from the council, and that the school uniform grant has been totally abolished by Sheff' CC. I had heard that, these days, No-one gets it, needy or not..

PT

Originally posted by Lostrider

if you remember the "Buccaneer" have a look at this:

Buccaneer

That was a play list from 1972 not 1970.

Timo, the houses that were built on the field at the bottom were built about 1973 when we used to nip through the site to Sullivans chippy.

My mate was larking about one day and heavy rain had caused the building site to a mass of sludge and he did a goalkeeping imppression and lost his balance and slid down the mud head first for about 20 feet.

When I finally picked my lungs up from the floor due to hysterical laugher he had a tantrum and fell out.

Our friendship was never the same after that.

His name was David Austin and I have'nt seen him since 1975.

Originally posted by Plain Talker

dempseys also had a shop opposite the park hill flats, on duke street, during the 1960's to what must have been the early 80's on the big green tenement block (I think it was called "crown Place, it was definitely called crown something-or other) it was knocked down in the mid 1980's , around the same time that the huge tenement block at the top of bard street was demolished, and the rest of the blocks there on bard st, old. st and school st (i think) were refurb-ed.

I got my first pair of shoes from dempseys, they were white, t-bar "sandals" the style with the sole that ran in a curve, round, right up the back of the heel. "dandy-steps", they were called. (this memory dates from the early mid sixties)

on that same blockof shops, on duke street, where teh post ofice used to be, and dempseys etc, there was a decorating shop, called blaskeys. I believe there is only one balskeys in existence, these days, in the firth park area. I remember them being all over the shop the had branches along infirmary road, in the hole in the road, firth park,

Back on topic...

re taking vouchcers to Dempseys...

I remember the mid/ late 70's , and having to go with a letter to a place in the orchard building, beside the fountain precinct, in the education dept, to collect your "allocation" of school uniform, and the cattle market that it was with everyone crammed into this small room, like a "quartermasters store" whilst these elderly women scurried back and forth into the cubboards fetching out clothing that they thought would fit you, in your school uniform colours.

I remember feeling the humiliation, a few years further down the line, taking my lad and his half-brother to the same place, to obtain some school clothing for them. the women seemed the same, and I felt such shame, and felt as if these women were sneering at us, because we were reduced to getting the school clothing for our lads from them.

I have heard that you are hard pressed, these days even to obtain your entitlement to the free school meals from the council, and that the school uniform grant has been totally abolished by Sheff' CC. I had heard that, these days, No-one gets it, needy or not..

PT

to be fair mate today's kids wouldn't be seen dead in the clothes the council would hand out not unless they were £100 nike trainers and trackies