Memories of the early seventies

owdlad

I am in my late forties, so you must be a bit older than me even.

Someone in NZ just went to London and commented how dirty the air was and his nostrils were full of sooty stuff.

I remember the black smuts on the washing back in the 60's before Sheffield was a smokeless zone, as we could see Tinsley and the gasometers and water towers and steel factories from our house in Wincobank

Nadine, I am in my 50s, and can well remember those damp days, in fact it's like that today, damp and miserable.

I rarely go to London, as your friend rightly says it always seems dirty and full of fumes. Tell them to come up to sunny Sheffield.

Another thing that I found a few weeks ago was the hobbing foot, complete with a tin of segs.

Originally posted by owdlad

Nadine, I am in my 50s, and can well remember those damp days, in fact it's like that today, damp and miserable.

I rarely go to London, as your friend rightly says it always seems dirty and full of fumes. Tell them to come up to sunny Sheffield.

Another thing that I found a few weeks ago was the hobbing foot, complete with a tin of segs.

during the war................................................................

Segs! I'd forgotten all about them. There were Blakeys too, which I think were slightly larger. I used to wear segs on my brogues, sport a "skinhead" coiffure, with two-tone trousers and short-sleeved Ben Sherman shirts. Looking back, I was really gorgeous!

Originally posted by timo

Segs! I'd forgotten all about them. There were Blakeys too, which I think were slightly larger. I used to wear segs on my brogues, sport a "skinhead" coiffure, with two-tone trousers and short-sleeved Ben Sherman shirts. Looking back, I was really gorgeous!

i remember the bouncers at the top rank (sat mornings) making us all take the segs out of our shoes before we were allowed in........apparently they marked the dance floor

Originally posted by timo

Don't kid thee sen. ;)

The mention of segs in the heels of shoes, and the Hobbing-foot for repairing shoes brought back some really strong memories for me, of my father cobbling our shoes, to get a bit more wear out of them.

Do you temember the Phillips' Stick-a-soles? your shoe would wear thin, under the ball of the foot, and the stick-a-sole would extend the shoe's life a little...

and Tatting-ends! what about Tatting-ends!!!????!!!

that really strong twine/ thread stuff that you used to repair seams on handbags, or to stitch shoes back together when the seams went, or the stitching that joined the upper to the sole split...

My mum always had, in her workbasket, a selection of threads, and needles/ bodkins etc, a cofffee-jar full of buttons, and a couple of cards of Tatting ends!

Is it my imagination, or do shoes, these days, not even last long enough to have a bit of polish put on them, never mind lasting long enough to be taken to the cobblers for soles and heels?

PT

Plain Talker, no it is not your imagination about shoes- I find they do "run out" long before they should. Of course, this has absolutely nowt to do with the fact that I am heavier these days. Do you remember those Tuf shoes for boys in the seventies? I also remember Wayfarer's Animal Track shoes, which had paw prints on the soles. Also, I recall the George Best- advertised Stylo Match Maker football boots. They were truly crap. I stuck to Adidas Samba after that.