Memories of the early seventies

Originally posted by timo

Plain Talker, no it is not your imagination about shoes- I find they do "run out" long before they should. Of course, this has absolutely nowt to do with the fact that I am heavier these days. Do you remember those Tuf shoes for boys in the seventies? I also remember Wayfarer's Animal Track shoes, which had paw prints on the soles. Also, I recall the George Best- advertised Stylo Match Maker football boots. They were truly crap. I stuck to Adidas Samba after that.

Tuf shoes....you had to have heels as hard as a cobblers last to break them in, oh yes remember the joys of breaking new shoes in, and even then you got blisters the size of Pontefract cakes on your heels the first time you wore them to go out for more than a walk up the garden.

owdlad,

Segs, I had forgotten about those, I spoke to someone ages ago, about those metal things and I remember when it was also quite fashionable to have them on your shoes,

I see your living in Derbyshire, I would imagine on a horrible day it is still nice,

Do people still like to eat tripe, can you still buy it in the shop

Originally posted by nsiebert

owdlad,

Segs, I had forgotten about those, I spoke to someone ages ago, about those metal things and I remember when it was also quite fashionable to have them on your shoes,

I see your living in Derbyshire, I would imagine on a horrible day it is still nice,

they are very fond of sheep apparently:)

Originally posted by timo

Plain Talker, no it is not your imagination about shoes- I find they do "run out" long before they should. Of course, this has absolutely nowt to do with the fact that I am heavier these days. Do you remember those Tuf shoes for boys in the seventies? I also remember Wayfarer's Animal Track shoes, which had paw prints on the soles. Also, I recall the George Best- advertised Stylo Match Maker football boots. They were truly crap. I stuck to Adidas Samba after that.

"Tuf" brand shoes also had a range for girls.

I well remember this, because I had a pair in the first year of the junior school.

They were very masculine-looking plain, black, lace ups. they looked like the kind of shoes that kids in the pictures of the turn of the 19/20th century would have worn. They were sturdy shoes, admittedly enough, but, the shoes my mother bought for me, looked even more masculine, on me, because of my big feet. (I was a size adult 1 on starting school, today, I am an 8.5 to a 9). The kids in my class kept teasing me, all the time i had to wear them, saying "PT is wearing BOYS shoes!!!" . As you can imagine, this really endeared those shoes to me!

I don't know if they had some kind of charm on them, but, by-gum!!! for love nor money, I could not wear those shoes out!!!

They certainly were "tough" shoes, as owdlad said.

P "don't love ya, 'cos yer feet's too big!" T

Originally posted by nsiebert

owdlad,

Nadine

I have always hated tripe with a vengeance, of all the things that comes off a cow, tripe is just what the name says.

Derbyshire is always nice, especially when you can nip over into Chatsworth and the Peak District in fifteen minutes, just to sicken you have a look at our beautiful county.

http://www.chatsworth-house.co.uk/

http://www.derbyshire-thepeakdistrict.co.uk/

Enjoy at your leisure.

Owdlad, thanks for the photo's they are lovely

Have been to Chatsworth as a kid, so good to see it again, I will have a good look at the photo's tonight.

Did you move there for the work?

My Dad saved everything, even walking along the street, if he saw screws or buttons etc, he would pick them up, not to mention the night he bent to pick up what he thought was a silver coin, and it was the moon shining on a heap of spit, I laughed for days.

Timo, I too as a girl had a skinhead haircut, Bensherman shirt, and we had also 2 tone skirts, remember those 2 tone trousers were they called "parallels" and then skirts came out the same for girls.

I remember the brogues and loafers, I had brown loafers and we used to polish them with ox blood colour polish to make them look red.

Those Tuf shoes I remember and the ones with the animal prints, what about those boys shoes that came out with the compass in the bottom of the heel, what were they called,

Nadine, I am only twenty minutes from Sheffield, but safely over the border.I love living so close to the Peak District, especially knowing it will never change, and spend many happy hours in there.

The piece about your Dad and the spit is brilliant, I can just imagine the look on his face, it's just a good thing he didn't try picking up sausages...urgh! When I worked down Attercliffe, the man who used to walk down to work with me once stopped me picking up a coin, his thoughts were that it would make me round shouldered, when I asked why he said " because for the rest of your life you will be looking down at the floor trying to find another one" I still picked it up though.

I had no time for the skinheads, although these days I am one of them, well it sounds better than saying I am going bald I have to admit though to having some Doc Martins, and they were and still are the most comfortable boots around.