Memories of the early seventies

yes I remember the catalogues,

there was Kays, yes, there was Great Universal Stores, and Grattan..... "owt y' wanted, for a shilling a week! lol"

Then there were the shedload of catalogues all owned by the littlewoods people, (the Moores, of Liverpool, who IIRC also owned the Football Pools company, and endowed Liverpool polytechnic)

there were John Moores, and Janet Fraser, there was another one, called Peter... Woods? ( It was Peter Something or other, anyway) and the actual Littlewoods catalogue, itself.

I remember that , in the catalogues when I was a little girl, the baby wear section was Illustrated, rather than photographed, not like the older kids' and the adults' clothing sections. I always thought that looked rather odd, like the illustrations on the front of the "butterick" and "Simplicity" dress pattern packs.

PT

Plain Talker,

just to show I'm on form today [and to avoid doing the work I'm supposed to be doing...] here's another "blast from the past" re catalogues- Marshall Ward. I'm an Oracle of trivia, aren't I ?! Regards.

I think those catalogues were quite expensive to buy from, but people were motivated because you could pay the stuff off, and that was in the days before everyone had credit cards,

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is this expression (lol) that everyone keeps putting in the emails, they dont use it around these parts.

The No6 cigarettes used to have the cards in the packets and you could save them up and buy stuff, I remember the co-op used to have stamps also.

There was a place in town you could go and cash in the No6 cards and get your purchase.

Originally posted by nsiebert

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is this expression (lol) that everyone keeps putting in the emails, they dont use it around these parts.

I was told it meant 'laugh out loud' - not certain though.

Originally posted by nuf_said

Originally posted by nsiebert

I was told it meant 'laugh out loud' - not certain though.

As far as I know You are right LOL means laugh out loud at least

that is what my daughter told me it meant as I am claassed as an old codger these days I have always used it as that I hope it doesn´t mean anything else! (lol)

:D ah yes,rag day i remember watching all the students setting off from hillfoot bridge on their home made rafts,very funny.

we used to run to the next bridge and prepare our bags of flour to bomb them.

pyjama jump i used to enjoy that when i was a little older brilliant neets. :heyhey:

anyone remember cantors . hope ive got name right.

I remember in early 70s my dad had less hours at sanderson kayser and i had to have my crombie coat from there on the never never.

cantors sold furniture and fashions. think it was in town somewhere.

then when my dad got more hours i remember purchasing three pair of staypress trousers from harringtons.

Tara,

Wasn't Harrington's in the Sheaf Market? Is it there still? I remember it. I think it was owned by a guy called Keith. Everyone I knew shopped there due to the cheap prices re Levis etc. There were adverts in the Star featuring a photo of the owner, and a list of Levis, Ben Sherman, Brutus, Wrangler, Lee gear etc available. Must get off to work now...