Memories of the early seventies

Docmel you got in before me, I remember that advert with the window to watch.

There was also an army surplus shop as you came into Sheffield, and I remember buying a few things from there in the early seventies.

Is Wilson & Peck the music shop still around, my Dad and I played instruments and used to go there to buy his music at birthdays and Christimas,

There was also another music shop down a gennell way, on the way to the moor, and I cant remember the name, it will come back to me, if it is like here

About the 33's that were out in those days, and the covers with the bikini clad ladies, I had some of those, I was an Elton John & Rod Stewart, David Bowie and Bryan Ferry, fan, in my early teens, and still have some of the old records, one of my favourites is a monty python of the 4 Yorkshiremen, it brings back memories, does anyone remember that one.

Originally posted by timo

Tara,

Wasn't Harrington's in the Sheaf Market? Is it there still? I remember it. I think it was owned by a guy called Keith. Everyone I knew shopped there due to the cheap prices re Levis etc. There were adverts in the Star featuring a photo of the owner, and a list of Levis, Ben Sherman, Brutus, Wrangler, Lee gear etc available. Must get off to work now...

Timo, I seem to remember Harringtons being in castle market. Didn't you have to climb up a ladder into the loft just to try something on? Crazy! A bunch of sweaty guys in the loft stumbling around trying the what? 36 inch? bell bottom/flares on.

Good times.

Wasn't Cantors down the Moor? Anyway, you mention a couple of adverts but cany anyone remember this:

"Fletcher's tomorrow - good for you, good for me

Don't wait til tomorrow - better fetch a Fletcher's loaf".

How wildly exciting you shout, but it'd give McTry and Flusted a run for their money. Next time I pick up the Takamine I'll give it a go. Shall we try the key of C?

Hi to Gettingon- I've posted you a private email; do get back to me. Re Harrington's, yes you are right. I remember the loft- ludicrous situation wasn't it?!

Tara, re Colvins; I've mentioned them at some point. They seemed to have a permanent "Clearout Sale" going on, with Ben Shermans etc at low prices. The shop was like bedlam at times. I personally found Sexy Rexy, with its Unisex changing rooms a theatre of humiliation. I was quite shy then [though NOBODY I know now would believe it], and the idea at once excited and embarrassed me. It all seemed so sophisticated and erotic then[ha ha ha].