Memories of the early seventies

I see on another thread people are talking about pak a macs and rainmates, anoraks were also another crap clothing item, people used to call each other "an anorak" to say they were a plonker.

Of course for ladies (cardigans), the woollen knitted variety

I remember as a teenager any shoes or handbags that were not real leather also, or imitation sheepskin or suede was also looked down upon

I must confess, I am still a bit of a clothes snob, that is what happens when you live in Britain,

Come here to NZ and anything goes, even anoraks

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by Lostrider

if you remember the "Buccaneer" have a look at this:

Buccaneer

Good photos Lostrider,

One of the photos brings back memories,Whats that road that runs from the bottom of the moor to west st? well that pub at the top, me and a couple of mates were having a drink, got chating to a load of students and got asked to crash a party with them, it was an old house in or near havlock quare and it was McCloskey's Apocalypse's party, a cracking night/morning, we got totaly bladered on cider and cheap wine, the next day or probably the day after, my mate woke up with a pocket full of fuses, it seems on his way out he fell down the cellar grate into the cellar and one of the band was laughing at him, so my mate nicked all the fuses "total chaos" about 50 drunken people crammed into that small house totaly blind, What a night to remember

What about the Green Shield stamp shop behind the Moor?

What about Bazooka Joe comics? Save hundreds of them and you could send off for some X-ray specs, save thousands and you could order a miniature working submarine.

What about eating chilli at Mr Kites then browsing for books and records at Rare and Racy? Rare and Racy is still there!

What about the garage on Norton Lees Road with half a Mini sticking out of the wall?

What about the ladybird invasion of 1976? I ate one and it tasted of strong grass (vegetation type).

Sledging in Meersbrook Park. I remember going out once after Match of the Day with my mate Simon Gledhill and it was really icy and dark. We both smacked into the wall at the bottom. I heard that someone once broke their neck doing a similar thing. Not sure if they died.

did u snog me under the stairs in roxys tue night or sat morning. lol . pmsl . memories. they were great days they were. Also the skates, love being a skinhead. remember the rockers chasing us out of pond street after skates finished. wow memories. So many years have passed.

We used to stand and dance near snack bar and stairs

on tue nights and sat mornings. wow under them stairs.

SNEAKS.

Ps. still laughing while posting this

one of the things i remember about the seventies was going to the shop for my mum to get a tube of hair lacquer which was called bellair. she used to have a squeezy bottle which you refilled with the tube of hair lacquer. i'm so glad we can just buy tins of hairspray these days.

Originally posted by coyleys

, we got totaly bladered on cider and cheap wine,

Lots a laughs Coyleys.

If the pub was full of student, it was probably the Raven.

I bet the plonk was Hirondelle or Corrida. I have an aversion to red wine even now after some very drunken episodes on that stuff.

It was the cheapest way to get very, very p****ed. :hihi:

My mate could get luncheon vouchers from his dad (who delivered for styans and daveys bakers) we would go to silver blades to try to pull, if we got lucky we'd then go on to wimpy's on the moor to trade in the vouchers,

Hamburgers, bannana longboats, brown derby's.

Did'nt take much to impress the girls back then.

Lewis leathers and virgin records were faves of mine.

• 1 year later...

Oh Tuesday nights at the Top Rank!

That horrid Slush - UGH!

We had Dom Sci all afternoon and spent the time deciding what to wear - Miss Duffin was our teacher at Hinde House - poor thing.

All the clothes and music - what sophisticates we were!!!

Windmillgal

PS They do still make Sherbet Lemons!

Hi

I remember going to the Top Rank on Tuesday nights for the disco, no booze, for under 18's, the No4 bus would have heaps on from Hinde House going into town.

Used to get fish and chips near pond street and get on the bus back home about 11pm, last bus was 11.15pm, so was always a bus to fall back on if we were late.

Used to go to school the next day,

Do you remember Harrington jackets, Ben Sherman Shirts and walking around like idiots with bowler hats and brolleys when the skinhead days were in.

Do you remember the Bay City Rollers and Rod Stewart with the tartan and sewing to the Levi's, I remember my Dad was not amused when I spent five pounds (that was a lot then) on a pair of Levi's and scrubbed then till they were pale and sewed on the tartan.

I crave for some sherbert lemons, Thornton toffee, Tizer, when friends go back to England they fetch all these goodies back, although havent had any sherbert lemons, do they still make them.