Memories of the early seventies

Nadine, I think the "Hole in the road" was filled in around 93, when we had moved to Nottingham for a while. I definately remember "Potted Dog" from many a kids' party in the seventies. The Co-op you refer to must be the one that was situated on Fife Street [opposite to my paternal grandparents' house], on the same side as the chippy, only further down. I recall the cheeses too. You can't get Cheshire in New Zealand? Come back to civilisation!

I can remember Fife Street chippy, it was owned by the Olivers I think and across from there was Wadsworths a grocer I believe. My grandparents lived on Jardine Street at Wincobank so remember those places

Ooh, the 70`s!! Left school, started work. Wore the most outrageous, and now thinking back...embarrassing, clothes e.g Trousers worn included Bright Yellow, Bright Red and White with Blue Stars!!! Platform shoes ugh!!! But we did have the wonderful days of The Buccaneer, The Penthouse and The Nelson. Marriage followed in 1974 and we will soon be on our 32nd Anniversary. So yes the 70`s were memorable on a personal level and I look on them with much affection as I met a lot of nice people and I often wonder what happened to them.:sad:

• 12 years later...
On 08/10/2004 at 03:07, nsiebert said:

Hi

I remember going to the Top Rank on Tuesday nights for the disco, no booze, for under 18's, the No4 bus would have heaps on from Hinde House going into town.

Used to get fish and chips near pond street and get on the bus back home about 11pm, last bus was 11.15pm, so was always a bus to fall back on if we were late.

Used to go to school the next day,

Do you remember Harrington jackets, Ben Sherman Shirts and walking around like idiots with bowler hats and brolleys when the skinhead days were in.

Do you remember the Bay City Rollers and Rod Stewart with the tartan and sewing to the Levi's, I remember my Dad was not amused when I spent five pounds (that was a lot then) on a pair of Levi's and scrubbed then till they were pale and sewed on the tartan.

I crave for some sherbert lemons, Thornton toffee, Tizer, when friends go back to England they fetch all these goodies back, although havent had any sherbert lemons, do they still make them.

NEILS

used to buy my levi 2 tones from sexy rexy,went to city hall 2 c t rex,still got concert ticket stub.wimpys not mcdonalds,whetstone pub bottom of the moor and of course redgates toy shop,used 2 b 2pence from pond street to hillsborough to watch the owls stand in rain no cover on cop under scoreboard,

........................................................................................................................................................................

kirky

dempsey's clothes shop on the park hill flats (now housing office) if you were a pikey and your dad was on the dole you'd get vouchers for shoes and clothes for school.......i got my first star jumper from their:D

...................................................................................................................................................................................

OLD Thread. NEW Post...

GREAT STUFF on here. Good old Nostalgia....been great reading all this stuff, and a reyt laugh.

I had me green/yellow star jumper, Harringtons flares and a Brian Connolly haircut  and, at age 13 and 14 used to go down town on Saturday mornings to the Top Rank disco, all that "Mud" type dancing...and the Hi Ho, singing contest, Owls and Blades, then after we'd go down to redgates, for Airfix or Subbuteo.

Later during the week I'd go down town on the bus with a small teen gang to the City Hall...and hang out around there when groups were on.

Someone, one of the older, "Bowie" hairdo kids, I think, showed us how to, err, sort of sneak in sometimes...after the shows had started, so we got to see, the likes of 10.C.C, Queen, Dr. Feelgood,the excellent Be-Bop Deluxe, Sensational Alex Harvey Band and Pilot(ha,ha), without paying, which was great, when you were only 13 or 14 and had hardly any money at all! A lot of the time, you would be chased back down the stairs by "bouncers" and out, but, most of the time, we'd go round the other side...and just try again. Naughty  stuff I know...!, but it was all a good laugh back in those days and truly innocent.

Later, when I got a paper job, I saved up and bought tickets, mostly for the balcony, to go and see the likes of T-Rex, Slade and Sweet.

Them wer days. Brilliant.

Thanks to the OP.

i remember the whetstone pub bottom of the moor,about ten of us went in there regularly 73-74.had some crazy nights in beer keller on eyre street.eventually made it into the nelson rock bar! was into heavy rock by then,still am.Wapentake regular and Minerva ,Albert .

17 hours ago, Michael Milner said:

Did anyone wear “Bata”shoes ?

I remember Bata shoes. They were almost the alternatives to Doc Martens worn by smoothies / suedeheads with their sta prest trousers. 

Did the the name come from the fact they were purchased from Bata shops? 

Blue Bell ,Albert, Wap, Nelson , Pump Tavern, Whetstone,Back to Nelson or Wapp , Blue Bell than last bus. 😎.

Went on hols with Jeff , came back to find Nelson had been redecorated 😖 NIGHTMARE.

Not to mention Minerva ,Dove and Rainbow , Golden Ball, Stonehouse, Museum (good jukebox)Beer keller, Red lion and the Limit.

Great Days

Jim.

Who remembers going up the ladder and trying jeans on when you cuold not stand up in the loft above Harringtons shop in th Market , with their STYLE GURU BRIAN, no mirrors we had to ask each other what they looked like .

To  many stories to type 😂

70's what an era i can remember going to school on my raleigh chopper, going down town saturday my mum worked at hagenbachs on haymarket chips,sausage and beans,maces pet shop,abc cinema sat. morning,yamaha fs1e when i was 16..pippy's pertula oil,marples,wapentake,penthouse,rag week rafts on the river don.. redgates toy shop, lewis leathers,bay city rollers,having a jumper with stars on! my dad having a vauxhall viva yep i could go on too lol

On 08/10/2004 at 16:46, Damon said:

How about Bradley's Records on Fargate? Didn't the staff used to wear nylon jacket/overall things, rather like dinner ladies or something??!!

I was a DJ at the Silver Blades and being the main Dy I had the privilege of getting 5 records each week from the new releases in exchange for advertising Bradley's. There was a small guy who I think was the manager there his hair was black and receiding