Sweet factory on shrewsbury hill

The sweet factory on Shrewsbury Road at the top of Turners Hill (the steep cobbled hill shown on "neoteric's" posting) was named Dixons. Theres a front facing photo of the building on the Sheffield Genealogy & Family History website (plus other related photos). Click on the "Photographic" link then on "Sheffield Street Related".

Dixons?! Not... Not... The same dixons who were off Valley road, Meersbrook, who made/ make the Dixons mint rock? (sigh.. dixons mint rock. MMM! My granny always had a quarter of dixons mint rock with that distinctive honeycomb pattern inside the cross-section of the boiled sweet. My sister and I used to have a competition, who could make their piece of DMR last the longest!)

I used to go to that sweet factory quite a lot. used to go to All Saints so we used to go round all the time. can't remember how we got to know about tho. the smell was just divine in there. ooh can remember it now. was best little sweet factory in the world. :hihi:

I well remember the sweet factoryat the end of Granville Lane I used to pass it every day on my way to school on Leopole St 1937 I ran down the hill across Granville St and over the railway footbridge and up Howard St I think the factory closed down at the outbreak of war No sugar was available for making sweets in 1939

wow! i can't believe other people remember the sweet factory!! i lived on charlotte road and often went there with my bother . I remember standing waiting to be served with all the trays laid on the counter and our mouths watering . The smell was gorgeous . I loved to nibble the sugar coating off the big ( well they seemed big to us) fishes. My husband had never heard of it and neither had anyone else i mentioned it to. I often drove past wishing i had the money to buy it when i saw it derelict. It's nice to see it renevated but it's lost its magic now its not black anymore :(

Hello Lillypink It was a long time ago when I used to run past the sweet factory, but I seem to think the place was closed down, even then ,1938 and I never remember it being open and serving sweets I only lived on Norfolk Rd,and I would have known And I must have passed it ,hundreds of times,but never saw it open. Strange.?

Hello Lillypink It was a long time ago when I used to run past the sweet factory, but I seem to think the place was closed down, even then ,1938 and I never remember it being open and serving sweets I only lived on Norfolk Rd,and I would have known And I must have passed it ,hundreds of times,but never saw it open. Strange.?

i must have been about ten when it was open as a sweet shop so it was about 1979 maybe 80's ? maybe you had your eyes shut as you passed ;)

• 2 years later...

great photos, I have admired this building from sheffield station tram stop for a while and yesterday walked up the hill to take a look. It looks like its vacant, to let for offices. Does anyone know any more about it e.g. who's renting it out? I'd love to know if it could be used as a house, it's so convenient for the station! Just found this on the sheffield council site, doesn't tell me much about the present situation though:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/?pgid=77962&fs=s

Edited by HarrietStar
added new info