Kennings, Leadmill Rd

On 22/10/2022 at 22:59, MarkPearce said:

Hi Caroline.

You were Mackie`s secratary if im not mistaken.

Hello Mark, 

I remember you so well, always liked a laugh.  I was Mackie's secretary and it brought a smile to my face when you said it because I'd forgotten we used to call him Mackie! 😊. I do remember you went to Tenter Street but don't know where you went from there! Hope you're well. Caroline 👍

On 07/11/2017 at 12:15, HandsworthB said:

Started there in 79 and served an apprenticeship, I think 'we' 4 in total were the last apprentices taken on at Leadmill rd.

Hello Brendan lovely to hear from you.

I must confess I don't remember you, Steve Daly or Kevin May. 

Some of the other apprentices at that time were Garry Green, Paul Whiteley, Simon Walker, Mark Pearce, Mark Williamson.

Do you remember the receptionists at Leadmill Road, Alan Staniforth, Vanessa Holmes?. There was Duncan Jones, Ian Blackburn, Stuart Mackay (Gordon Mackay's nephew), Bill Margerison, Steve Burnan who worked in the Service Dept.

I started at Kennings in 1973 in the typing pool and then went onto being the Service Manager's secretary who at that time was Stuart Attwood (he was a lovely guy). When he left, Gordon Mackay became Service Manager and so I worked for him until I left Kennings in 1989. We all moved to Tenter Street in 1982.

At Tenter Street I worked with Arnold Baker (who eventually had a garage on Carlisle Street and when he retired Nigel Barks took over (he's still there I believe). John Grindle left and set up on his own (somewhere in Wortley). Gordon Lindley was at Tenter Street and I worked alongside him for quite a bit of the time (he was another lovely guy). He went to work at Kennings in Chesterfield as Service Manager but he didn't like it. I can't remember what happened to him after that. I did see him a few years ago at a funeral (Renee Armitage), don't know if you remember her! I remember Robert Grantham. Derek Stagg was supposed to be emigrating but don't know if he ever did. Roger Rose did emigrate to somewhere in America (don't know where).

The names I remember who were involved with the valeting at Leadmill were Geoffrey Bell, a black lady (oops you can't say that now) who was always bubbly and smiling and everybody loved her was known as Lou. I remember Jack Reaney was the bodyshop manager and he came to work at Tenter Street.

The car hire you worked at on West Street is now The Cavendish.

All our yesterdays, can't believe how many years have passed! I've not seen anyone for many years.  I've retired now.

Caroline 

• Like 1

Hi Caroline,

I can't remember many people leaving while at Leadmill Rd, the move and split to Tenter St and West St, might have been a trigger for a lot more to quit.

I remember most of those names, Happy days, even if it didn't feel like it at the time!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/07/2024 at 19:19, MarkPearce said:

Just found out today that Arnold Baker passed away last week. 

Sorry to hear that, he was a formidable figure to us apprentices, will always remember Friday lunchtimes and him sending me to the Harlequin chippy at the top of Howard Street, which always had a massive queue, one week thought I would be clever and go to the chippy lower down tgat didn't have a queue, lets just say I only did it once!

Drove past his garage so many times over the years, and always intended to call in one day, sadly never did.

2 hours ago, MarkPearce said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but just heard today from Nigel Barkes that Alan Staniforth passed away last week.

OMG that's terrible. It seems to be one after the other!! Do you know how old he was? You tend to think of people at the age they were when we worked with them but we're all getting older. Caroline 

1 hour ago, MarkPearce said:

I think he was 78 Caroline.

Ah! In today's world I think that's young and Arnold was 75. There was a lady in my brother's care home and she lived until she was 104 (and very with it). I found out aswell that Gordon Lindley passed away last year. It's really hard to comprehend even though it's been many years since I saw them. You take care Mark. Caroline