Kennings, Leadmill Rd

On 09/08/2024 at 20:09, Caroline Taylor said:

Ah! In today's world I think that's young and Arnold was 75. There was a lady in my brother's care home and she lived until she was 104 (and very with it). I found out aswell that Gordon Lindley passed away last year. It's really hard to comprehend even though it's been many years since I saw them. You take care Mark. Caroline 

Sad news, I knew Gordon Lindley better than 'Stan' and Arnold, after the move from Leadmill rd, I went up to West street, Gordon was in charge of us, and after Geoffrey Bell left, he took over and ran the valeting side too, never heard anyone say a bad word about Gordon, the lads would have done anything he said.

23 minutes ago, HandsworthB said:

Sad news, I knew Gordon Lindley better than 'Stan' and Arnold, after the move from Leadmill rd, I went up to West street, Gordon was in charge of us, and after Geoffrey Bell left, he took over and ran the valeting side too, never heard anyone say a bad word about Gordon, the lads would have done anything he said.

Hello! It's Brendan isn't it? I'm glad you've responded because it's good to gather information. So you worked at West Street with Gordon. When you say you never heard a bad word said about Gordon and the lads would do anything he said just sums him up for me.  I know when I worked with him he would go the extra mile to make sure jobs were dealt with for the customers.  He was such a lovely guy, perfect gentleman and loved to have a laugh. We used to talk about films we liked and I could never remember some of the actors but Gordon always knew. Sad times losing good people!!  Take care. Caroline 

4 minutes ago, Caroline Taylor said:

Hello! It's Brendan isn't it? I'm glad you've responded because it's good to gather information. So you worked at West Street with Gordon. When you say you never heard a bad word said about Gordon and the lads would do anything he said just sums him up for me.  I know when I worked with him he would go the extra mile to make sure jobs were dealt with for the customers.  He was such a lovely guy, perfect gentleman and loved to have a laugh. We used to talk about films we liked and I could never remember some of the actors but Gordon always knew. Sad times losing good people!!  Take care. Caroline 

Its funny you mention films, I remember him telling me about the anti theft measures he had put on his brand new vcr, he swore blind he had put a chain around it and fastened it to the wall !

At West st, there was Gordon and Geoffrey, the valeting ladies (Lou as you mentioned before) a guy that always, always wore a shirt and tie under his overalls, used to work on the top floor at Leadmill, another chap that alternated between ferrying the cars around and driving the stores pick up, don't think I ever saw him without a cigarette,,  Mark Williamson, Kev May and me.

5 minutes ago, HandsworthB said:

Its funny you mention films, I remember him telling me about the anti theft measures he had put on his brand new vcr, he swore blind he had put a chain around it and fastened it to the wall !

At West st, there was Gordon and Geoffrey, the valeting ladies (Lou as you mentioned before) a guy that always, always wore a shirt and tie under his overalls, used to work on the top floor at Leadmill, another chap that alternated between ferrying the cars around and driving the stores pick up, don't think I ever saw him without a cigarette,,  Mark Williamson, Kev May and me.

Hahaha that's brilliant about the VCR.  I remember Kevin May now (small guy with red hair). Also remember Mark Williamson, thick blond hair. I used to tell him he looked like a blond Bono of U2.  He used to go out with Jackie when we were at Tenter Street and I really liked her! Be nice to know what she's doing these days. 🙂

1 minute ago, Caroline Taylor said:

Hahaha that's brilliant about the VCR.  I remember Kevin May now (small guy with red hair). Also remember Mark Williamson, thick blond hair. I used to tell him he looked like a blond Bono of U2.  He used to go out with Jackie when we were at Tenter Street and I really liked her! Be nice to know what she's doing these days. 🙂

I think it was just before I left in the early 80s , Kev and Mark were both in the process of buying their first houses, not sure why, but I seem to think they both left mid 80s

• 1 month later...
On 28/09/2024 at 21:34, LeeT said:

I served my apprenticeship at Leadmill rd then moved to Tenter street. I left in 85 and kept in touch with Mark and Jackie. Sadly Jackie passed away a few years ago.

Hello Lee. That's upset me about Jackie. She can't have been very old, I'm sure she was younger than me. I really liked her and she made me laugh with a story of when she went to work at Bingham's cooked meats in Crookes. You say that you kept in touch with them, were they still together? I hope I don't hear anymore sad news, there's been enough over the last few months. You take care Lee and if you see Mark remember me to him. Caroline 🙂