I need to buy a knee support - any useful info please?

I have slightly arthritic knees at the best of times and since my daughter b*gger*d off to university (ie works in a corner shop and tests all forms of alcohol to destruction) and my son abandoned me to go off to college I have to ride the horse every day.

I find my left knee is just not up to the constant grind and keeps giving way, which is mostly a problem when I get off, but still makes it hard to ride properly and safely.

Anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price and what sort! I googled it and blimey how do you choose? I know where the problem is exactly and I know I need a velcro fitting, not slip on. I suspect metal inserts are out due to danger of injury and damage to saddle.

Anyone out there use them and what for?

Or should I just buy a REALLY LONG walking stick.

Personally I reckon that it would be well worth your money to have a consultation with a physiotherapist, where they can show you some exercises to help strengthen your knee, and some ways of changing the ways you do things to lessen the damage to it, as well show you the sort of support that you really need or recommend one.

I would like to visit your shop get physical, whats it called? I will pop into Decathlon as well and have a good mosey.

As for physio, guess you are right, but the knee is just all worn out really, its worked hard for a long time and now its complaining. I can just avoid rising when trotting as that is what sets it off, and I have let my stirrups down which lessens the stress involved. But I cant avoid it completely or the horse will get naffed off and have a sore back. There used to be a guy called paul shock or something at ponds forge, spose I could go and see what I get from it.

I'm thinking a bit of support and minimising the work should do the trick for now. Could try and minimise the load but that would involve eating less and working more. Can manage neither very well!

i use a large black thingy with a hole for your knee cap. this then has several velcro straps whish you can have as loose or tights a s you need.

be careful slipping the old skintight jods on though it can move slightly.

you still need to be careful but they do offer a considerable amount of stability.

Hi graceomally,

I got a knee support (adjustable) from decathlon abit £7-£8. It did me very well on the Dronfield 10k. I used it when riding on a ranch in Arizona, 6 hours a day very rough terrain, excellent! Also used it whilst training in Karate. So highly recommend one.

Archived