British Relay/ Visionhire

Yes Computec was only a 1 man concern on a trading estate in Rotherham but can't remember the name of it. Kirk Sandall rings a bell as the road name.

The chap who owned is was called O'Brian.

Went bust after 1 year

It might have been on the Hellaby Industrial estate at Matlby which is classed as Rotherham, we were on there for a few years until we moved to Kimberworth which is still Rotherham. Other than that I don't know.

So are you still in the trade Roy. I'm not, thank goodness it got very stressful, customers can be very demanding. I was working 10 and 12 hours a day without overtime. :(

All I remember was how to get there. It became an automatic trip for meetings etc. Off the motorway Junc 34, to the roundabout at the bottom.

Sheffield was left and Rotherham was right. Go right and it was about a mile or so - perhaps a bit more and you turned right onto the estate.

Carried on self employed servicing for Colovision till they went under as well and thought then enough is enough. Started an Entertainments Agency for about 4 years then sold it on and then went as a Business Development Manager for PACT International. They then closed ( could it be something i do )

Now work in IT

All I remember was how to get there. It became an automatic trip for meetings etc. Off the motorway Junc 34, to the roundabout at the bottom.

Sheffield was left and Rotherham was right. Go right and it was about a mile or so - perhaps a bit more and you turned right onto the estate.

Carried on self employed servicing for Colovision till they went under as well and thought then enough is enough. Started an Entertainments Agency for about 4 years then sold it on and then went as a Business Development Manager for PACT International. They then closed ( could it be something i do )

Now work in IT

Junction 34 is the Tinsley roundabout where you turn off for Kimberworth (0540 depo). It sounds as though you were close to us, like it is an exact description. :thumbsup:

Consumer electronics is so volatile as you know, there have been so many closures and redundancies over the years and the big boys are so competitive. Well good luck and I wish you all the best. I only have a year to do before I retire thank goodness and being a school caretaker is so un-stressful by comparison. :)

P.S. I'm guessing you must be about ten years younger than me?

• 10 months later...
bill denton rings a bell but unable to put a face to him

Bill Denton was a great man, he was the manager at Woodside Lane, he lived on Swanbourn Road. You were with British Relay wern't you and then you all moved up to Derbyshire Lane. Do you remember?

How long were you doing Sheff 5? There were about 6 engineers on that area weren't there? One was a fair haired chap called Paul and you all worked as a team, was your call sign India 1 etc?

You would have been servicing sets on pipe line, and the vision hire techs did the off air sets.

Ring any bells yet? Do you remember the Morris scheme?

Edited by Grahame