British Relay/ Visionhire

Hi I seem to recall the cable being fastened to our wall on Sedan st about 1960, just before we moved, they said we would receive a shilling a year compensation if we did not want to partake, am I right or am I mistaken, or possibly it was preliminary work. Cheers Arthur.

it started in the fiftes not late sixties ex engineer woodside lane DAVE B

• 3 months later...

I remember working for British Relay on Derbyshire Lane during the 70's as one of the young lads repairing and modifying TVs. It was a good place to be, lots of fun and the potential to earn good bonuses. My job was to convert old TVs by ripping out the tuner and replacing it with the cable channel selector panel. 50p bonus for every one finished. Management were always trying to slow us down to save money and got us doing every odd job going.

I remember my interview well, it consisted of wiring an old 5A mains plug. The guy then yanked it as hard as he could. If all the wires stayed in - you had a job!

All the engineers (possibly 40) worked on a large open plan floor area and were either 'normal' engineers or 'cable' engineers and stuck to that type of TV set. Everyone had a dark blue smock to wear (still got mine) with British Relay TV sewn on the top pocket as a logo. There was a main store underneath where all the repaired / refurbished TVs were stored on racks and a parts store run by Ralph (I think) who lived in Normanton Springs.

Best memory was a particularly bad winter when all the lads made sledges out of perspex front panels salvaged from old TV sets. Rip out the perspex, put two holes through with a hot soldering iron, then make a leash with some mains flex. Every lunch time, off to Meersbrook park to sledge down the hill. They were good times.

Worst memory was a time when most of the lads were made redundant. Wasn't the same after that and I left to join the Post Office (BT).

• 3 months later...

I don't know whether this thread is still lie but I worked for British Relay from 71 through to the closure - in fact I had the dubious honour of emptying the building and handing over the keys after Visionhire closed it and opened Manor Park service dept off the Parkway.

I worked for Relay as a field engineer in Rotherham, Barnsley , Doncaster and finally Sheffield as what was then called an MSE - Mobile Support Engineer.

A team leader of 6 engineers and bags of memories including the good old Morris scheme - this thread has certainly opened up a few more memories!

Carried on with Visionhire through to Servicescope then moved down south.

Back in Derbyshire now having worked in IT.

My uncle, Joe Howarth worked as a mechanic servicing British Relay vehicles at their depot on Derbyshire Lane during the 60's & early 70's.. From what I can remember the garage was underneath a building with a steep sloping ramp down to it. The company disposed of their vans after a few years on the road and Joe acquired one for me to buy - it was a dark blue Bedford Beagle ( based on the Vauxhall Viva HA model) and was one of my early motors. Sadly, having survived the D Day landings he died in 1972 before reaching 50.

I worked at derbyshire lane and was one of those sledging in meersbrook park , Very dangerous i remember , then field engineer with visionhire and serviscope ,,left around 1988 ish ... Good days lots of memories . Ian P

My uncle, Joe Howarth worked as a mechanic servicing British Relay vehicles at their depot on Derbyshire Lane during the 60's & early 70's.. From what I can remember the garage was underneath a building with a steep sloping ramp down to it. The company disposed of their vans after a few years on the road and Joe acquired one for me to buy - it was a dark blue Bedford Beagle ( based on the Vauxhall Viva HA model) and was one of my early motors. Sadly, having survived the D Day landings he died in 1972 before reaching 50.

I remember Joe ever so well. He was a lovely man with a very good singing voice. Never to be forgotten. RIP Joe.

I worked at derbyshire lane and was one of those sledging in meersbrook park , Very dangerous i remember , then field engineer with visionhire and serviscope ,,left around 1988 ish ... Good days lots of memories . Ian P

I should know you Ian but I can't place you. I was doing the same job as you at Derbyshire Lane with Vision Hire and Serviscope Went to Foxhill from Derbyshire Lane. Hi anyway. :thumbsup:

I should know you Ian but I can't place you. I was doing the same job as you at Derbyshire Lane with Vision Hire and Serviscope Went to Foxhill from Derbyshire Lane. Hi anyway. :thumbsup:

Hiya Grahame

If i remember rightly you were on field service when i was in the workshop at derbyshire lane , I was on the Kilo team with terry p ... And did you sell me a pair of Wharfdale super 8 rsdd speakers ,,, with blue metal cones. its a long time ago I know . And if I have the righ person you had a Brown jacket .

I went to Petre drive as oposed to foxhill and then to kettlebridge ...

Hiya to you too hope i have remembered the right person :thumbsup:

Hiya Grahame

If i remember rightly you were on field service when i was in the workshop at derbyshire lane , I was on the Kilo team with terry p ... And did you sell me a pair of Wharfdale super 8 rsdd speakers ,,, with blue metal cones. its a long time ago I know . And if I have the righ person you had a Brown jacket .

I went to Petre drive as oposed to foxhill and then to kettlebridge ...

Hiya to you too hope i have remembered the right person :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, Yes you got me. I remember selling you the speakers but can I as heck put a face to you. :( My bad.

Anyway what you been doing with yourself. I stayed with them and went from Foxhill to Hellaby and then to Kimberwoth and ended up being merged with Radio Rentals and driving to Leeds every day. That was horrible. We were working out to Bridlington, over the Humber Bridge and back into Sheffield. There was a good half hour drive between jobs and it was murder. I took redundancy at the first opportunity, that was in 2001. Landed on my feet and got a nice little job in Sheffield 10 minute drive from home. How are you doing?

Edited by Grahame

Hi Ian, Yes you got me. I remember selling you the speakers but can I as heck put a face to you. :( My bad.

Anyway what you been doing with yourself. I stayed with them and went from Foxhill to Hellaby and then to Kimberwoth and ended up being merged with Radio Rentals and driving to Leeds every day. That was horrible. We were working out to Bridlington, over the Humber Bridge and back into Sheffield. There was a good half hour drive between jobs and it was murder. I took redundancy at the first opportunity, that was in 2001 How are you doing?

Hi Grahame

I have done all sorts a couple of years on taxis then master care onto Vytel and now working for a small company who manufacture furniture for schools delivering all over the country and still doing sound engineering for bands , No pressure at all its good

I have not seen anybody from relay / Visionhire in years last one was Terry N

when i was at Vytel

Nice to hear from you Grahame Ian