British Relay/ Visionhire

I joined BRW in 71 and was there for the end - and although I didn't go sledging as I was a field engineer on Mike team on Rotherham and Barnsley at the time I did transfer into Lima team for a while until the closure working on the good old TVR models after the reorganisation by Uncle Tom P. To Mary-m - sorry but as I can't reply to your pm until I have 5 post you may have to wait to see if your guess was correct.

I joined BRW in 71 and was there for the end - and although I didn't go sledging as I was a field engineer on Mike team on Rotherham and Barnsley at the time I did transfer into Lima team for a while until the closure working on the good old TVR models after the reorganisation by Uncle Tom P. To Mary-m - sorry but as I can't reply to your pm until I have 5 post you may have to wait to see if your guess was correct.

Uncle Tom P now theres a name to bring back memories of the follow the blue road , Captain Confusion !

G6 P*% i seem to remember , now could you be a g8 or was I wrong ?

Regards Ian

Edited by mary-m

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi I was just wondering if any one could tell me who I have to get in contact with to take out an old british relay cable, as it is in my back garden running through one of my trees which seems to be pulling it down.

Many thanks

Sharon

Difficult one Sharon,

British Relay was bought by Visionhire who were bought by Granada who went downhill and disappeared wherever years ago.

I would have thought that any liabilities for previous companies responsibilities were lost long ago during the various takeovers. As all the cables will be long dead I would suggest that if you need it removed you will have to get it removed - unless it's on a council or rented property?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

My name is Mick and I worked for BRW Visionhire then Serviscope 1969 to 1986. Moved to Rumbellows Then Mastercare Then ****** off to Australia and did a bit of a walkabout for the last 20 minutes (I mean Years) but still have not lost my eebygumm sense of Humor.

Does anyone out there recall passing my path of if I owe you owt tough luck.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
Uncle Tom P? Was this Tom Parry?

Yes, it was Tom Parry. People used to laugh at him because he used to talk about a "land line" meaning the telephone which considering we had radio in the vans I thought was a sensible thing to say. He had other little quirks as well but I thought it was due to people misunderstanding him. Overall I thought he was a good bloke. :)

Can I ask who you are please, my real name is Graham by the way.

Edited by Grahame

Hi Graham, He was my uncle and he lived next door but one to the factory with Doreen his wife. Sadly he died 2 1/2 years ago and Doreen joined him October last year. I always remember as a child listening to him on his amateur radio. I think i get my interest in gadgets from him as well - I remember him buying a very (very) basic video game and we played it to death.

I didn't know much about his work when he was alive but have been interested in reading this thread and learning what British Relay was all about.

Edited by Hirdster

I remember Tom well. He was affectionally known to most as Uncle Tom - or occasionally Captain Confusion. He started at Relay just after I joined in early 70's as a field engineer having transferred in from Runcorm I believe. His enthusiasm for amateur radio got me and a few others interested and started me down the path to getting my licence which with his help I passed at Chesterfield tech in 76. From memory his re issued licence was G8PWP before he regained his class A as it was then. I eventually worked more within Derbyshire Lane and got to know him well. I last had any communication from him back in the 90's via a letter and reading some of these forum posts brings back many many memories - I'm sorry to hear that both of them are no longer with us.