What do you think about children in pubs?

My wife and I eat out in one of our locals quite often (usually once a week, maybe more) and nearly always take our two girls. Both pubs have a kid-friendly policy which we always adhere to and whenever we are out and go to a pub we're not familiar with, one of us will go in and ask what their policy with children is.

Wherever we are, we have our own rules and that is that our children sit still, or if they wish to play outside they can so long as they don't run in and out of the pub and don't make a nuisance of themselves. We make sure that they are out of the pub by 7 (although in our main local they can stay till 9 - but I think that's too late).

I believe, firmly, that they know how to behave. They are 7 and a half and 4 and a half. I've seen many kids older than them left to run riot by their parents. I won't let my children do that.

One reason why is because the pub is still the place to go to to get away from the kids. When that opportunity arises, my wife and I love that freedom.

As I've said before, sometimes it's the adults who don't know how to behave in public (houses).

I agree Carmine - they make the choice to bring them in, so tuff!

I'm not saying is right to sit there swearing etc but a pub is a pub, the last bastion of adults, a place where the man doesn't own your ass and you can do what adults do without having to worry about the odd swear word offending families.

Not that i f and blind constantly -there's a time and place.

And the other thing is that people who complain about pubs being smokey boisterous places are the ones that don't patronise pubs all that often.

I've been going in a local for 22 years and on Thursday its quiz night.

The 'quizers' come in bang on 8.55 for a 9 o'clock start and leave at 10:45 when its finished.

And we get started at coz we want to talk!

Grumble , grumble.

Pubs are pubs not freakin maternity wards.

I'm the handler of three wonderful girls, and, occasionally, I'll take them to pubs (well, my eldest goes after every match, but ......), and I've always had the same theory.

I choose to take them in (if they're allowed), so why the hell should I expect others to moderate their language/behaviour/drinking habits/politics/shirt colour/newspaper choice/whatever, just because my offspring are there?

It's nice that people do cut some stuff out, and it's appreciated, but to me it's not necessary; the pub is a place for ADULTS to relax, not chabbies. But some people start having a go at people because their kids are about? Well if you don't want to hear some agricultural language, or navvy humour, etc., don't take them to a pub, locals especially.

My offspring also know how to behave, as others have said about theirs, because they're used to eating out, or going to a pub, basically being around adults, but if I do take them out, I choose my adult company carefully ........ so I don't just end up being a babysitter .........

My wife and I eat out in one of our locals quite often (usually once a week, maybe more) and nearly always take our two girls. Both pubs have a kid-friendly policy which we always adhere to and whenever we are out and go to a pub we're not familiar with, one of us will go in and ask what their policy with children is.

Wherever we are, we have our own rules and that is that our children sit still, or if they wish to play outside they can so long as they don't run in and out of the pub and don't make a nuisance of themselves. We make sure that they are out of the pub by 7 (although in our main local they can stay till 9 - but I think that's too late).

I believe, firmly, that they know how to behave. They are 7 and a half and 4 and a half. I've seen many kids older than them left to run riot by their parents. I won't let my children do that.

One reason why is because the pub is still the place to go to to get away from the kids. When that opportunity arises, my wife and I love that freedom.

As I've said before, sometimes it's the adults who don't know how to behave in public (houses).

100% spot on, in every respect.

I was horrified last night when visiting a pub in the Valley of Beer area.

Not only was there a little girl (I'd guess about 4 or 5) in the pub with her drunk father at 10pm, but he actually took her into the gents with him where he seemed happy to let her to run around by the urinals that people were busy using! He told her not to touch anything and even asked her what she was looking at when he was having a slash... :o:mad:

Having had a drink I made my disgust quite clear (telling him that it was a public house) and fortunately they left shortly after.

Completely out of order.

Hmmm, I was in one of our real ale establishments the other week and a similar small girl seemed to rule the roost in the bar area, bloody annoying it was aswell.

As a parent I do occasionally take my kids to pubs but they know the rules, if they want to be in a grown up environment they behave accordingly.

I think they're very rude. Never once has a kid offered to get this round in. What's that all about, eh?

What do you think about people bringing kids into pubs?

Do you take your kids in pubs?

My view - When i was a kid my dad would only take us to a pub like the Holly Bush in the summer where we would finish off a walk up rivelin with a drink in the beer garden. He would only allow me into the pub to the toilet and then he had to go with me.

I know it was different when i was a nipper but we were seen and not heard.

I am sick to death of kids in pubs, shouting, running around and being generally in your face with parents who don't seem to care.

Not wishing to generalise about all kids / parents but it does seem to be the case.

Same goes for people bringing dogs into pubs.

Pubs aren't 'playgroups' and they aren't zoo's.

Oh and i don't go in places such as Wacky Warehouse etc, i'm talking about local pubs.

You saw, so I hope you stood up for the dog.

I did indeed, but i also commented to the dog owner that it wasn't a good idea to bring the dog in as it will do that sort of thing instinctively.

He told me it was none of my F'in' business.

So there you go. Charming!

The "Waaa! I'm gonna get me Dad on you!" Brigade has a lot to answer for IMO. These days you can't even look sideways at a kid without they claim abuse! :loopy:

How many kids have claimed abuse against you then Rich? Must be a few at least if it's as common as you say.

Archived