Exercise for people with back problems

I used to do a lot of aerobics, gym etc until 2 years ago when I suffered a prolapsed disc. Since then I have struggled to find anything I can do which doesn't aggravate the problem.It has to be cardiovascular as I already do strength and flexibility but it can't involve rotation (so no aerobics), running or anything that puts too much force on the lower back. Keep plugging away at swimming but don't enjoy it so never get up to the out-of-breath stage I need to be at.Any ideas?

Some pilates & yoga would help, providing you are well supervised. I've a couple of clients with exactly the same problem, so I've designed individual training programmes with this in mind.Supervised work with a fit ball will help but flexibility training, no matter how tedious is a must.

Good luck!

Ann

Thanks to all replies so far.Yes have done Pilates for a while now and it certainly helps enormously, but doesn't give me the cardiovascular workout I'm looking for.

Used to do yoga but not ashtanga so don't know how cardiovascular it is, would like to know more.

Am trying the missionary position as often as can be bothered, but you know how it is with exercise, once you know you're supposed to do it you just don't get around to it. Any more suggestions for CV workouts?

have you tried cycling on one of those laid back machines or real bikes? It's like lounging in an arm chair - they have them in some gyms and are supposed to be better than upright normal bikes cos you don't have to bend your back and strain - it's supported.

Don't even know the proper name for them but seen them in the gym and on the road - chap cycles up rivelin valley road on one regularly.

I can use a recumbent bike in the gym without hurting my back (I have spinal abnormalities, degenerative disc disease in my lumbar region and a scoliosis in my thoracic spine). A standard bike hurts after a short while though. It's very strongly aerobic but you can introduce anaerobic sprints when you are up to it.

If you find that you can use a recumbent bike then how about trying a rowing machine when you go to the gym too? You may find that you can use the rower on a low resistance as an aerobic workout- I can't cos one of my arms doesn't work.

Alternatively set a treadmill to a walking speed but a 15% slope- I guarantee that you'll get your heart working with it if you get the speed right.

Oh, and BTW- the bloke who rides the road recumbent down Rivelin is one of my neighbours and he's seriously good on it- he races in a man powered car.

Archived