Glover & Co... new restaurant on Ecclesall Rd

t020

I mainly eat on London Road, more choice and cheaper.

I did find this on the net though :

"We eventually found somewhere to eat (places were full up rather than there being nowhere to eat), a new restaurant called Glover & Co on Ecclesall Road (next to Caffe Uno). They had been open only three days and apart from a woman who I think was the owner telling me I had lipstick on my teeth it was great. We all agreed it was what lunch should be, a light bite that still fills you up. M and I had roast vegetable and goats cheese sandwiches, H had a steak sandwich and my mum had a coronation chicken one. They all came with a small portion of chips and some rocket. M and I shared a warm chocolate brownie afterwards, it was lovely. I recall the restaurant being a cafe/juice bar when I was a student, seem to remember N and I going for a wander there and being surrounded by being people on mobile phones."

Coronation Chicken ?

Sounds a bit dull, but might be different at night ?

Hi,

Went last Thursday and found it to be excellent all round. Arrived at 9pm-ish and there were a few free tables - guess this might change once it's been open a bit longer and gets busier.

Really, it was the service that most impressed me. Invited to sit in the lounge area and have a drink while perusing the menu before you're invited to your table. Good knowledge of what's actually in each dish and description of any specials by the waiting staff. Attentive but not intrusive from both the waiting staff and the manager. Been a while since i've experienced such good service in a Sheffield restaurant.

Food was very competent and well-presented. No huge surprises on the menu but what there was was very well cooked and combinations worked really well, portions were on the generous side too! - examples of mains were vegetable filo parcel, pork fillet with savoy cabbage and smoked bacon, fishcakes on sweet potato rosti. The wine list was similarly well put together - being only a few choices but seeming to cover all bases to match up with the food on offer.

Prices weren't bad at all, considering the very good quality on offer, with mains costing £8-14, starters and desserts round the £4-5 mark and wine not going above £15 per bottle for anything on the list.

Hopefully, the high standard set will continue once the restaurant has been open for a while. I'd definitely go back again if so.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by rob123

Now that it's been open a few weeks has anyone been recently ? Thinking of going this friday for our wedding anniversary. What's the menu like ?

A mix of traditional and stuff with a bit more 'flair'. They also have experienced chefs so there is usually a good specials board.

I can't remember the whole menu but I have been a couple of times already. First time bresaola and then steak and kidney pie with Hendersons. Second time a very nice homemade pate/terrine and then fillet steak rossini. Yum yum.

Good homemade desserts too.

If you ever went to Caffe Uno next door but one it's the manager who used to run that.

Archived