The rise of West Street as Sheffield's main drinking circuit

goldenfleece

I love the new west street, yes it is full of students but where else do you want them to go?? the city centre where all the shops are?? Ecclesall road where there are hardly any pubs??

Students are a massive part of sheffield and they need to be catered for, west street with its good transport links and its closeness to the city centre was always the first option.

Originally posted by Scottandandy

I love the new west street, yes it is full of students but where else do you want them to go?? the city centre where all the shops are??

This is not the issue. And I never singled out STUDENTS as being the sole drinking population of West Street. To be honest its far more occupied by 'townies' at the weekend than students. Students have always drunk on West Street, even 'unfashionable' West Street and Division Street of 10 years ago.....its the concentration of the City Centre drinking circuits onto West Street I am commenting on.

10-20 years ago the main drinking areas were focused around the pubs such as Fountain Bar, Stonehouse, Old Bluebell, Marples, Hind, Golden Ball, the row of bars by the old Roxy, etc.....this area is now in total decline as the main focus of drinking in Sheffield, the 'townie' drinking circuit has moved West to Division STreet and West Street....

Also the bars that have sprung up just 'off' West Street on the side roads have added to this re-focus of drinking patterns re geographical density. Other factors such as the late bar half way up, forget its name, and the late licence Harley Hotel are all other factors.

Students may be the majority in the week at the top end of West Street but they are sure outnumbered by 'townies' at the weekend up and down its entire length.....

Probably the last bastion of the OLD style of 'unfashionable' West Street is actually a fantastic pub, down the side road nr Nat West bank....Bath Hotel......real old worlde decor and fantastic range of real ales. The last relic of the West Street (and its surrounding feeder roads) of old.

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Probably the last bastion of the OLD style of 'unfashionable' West Street is actually a fantastic pub, down the side road nr Nat West bank....Bath Hotel......real old worlde decor and fantastic range of real ales. The last relic of the West Street (and its surrounding feeder roads) of old.

Ah, yes, a pint of Winter Warmer and a sit by the fire, lovely.

Originally posted by nick2

Ah, yes, a pint of Winter Warmer and a sit by the fire, lovely.

Didnt know they still sold that particular brand....I have not been in for a month now. The MOONSHINE was always quite superb....they also sell that in the Fox and DUck in Broomhill but its just not quite as fruity.

Archived