Stumperlowe Grange: Descendants of W. E and C. A. Laycock

Hi, I'm looking for any living descendants of W.E and C.A Laycock who might have old photographs of the house or information relating to Stumperlowe Grange, Stumperlowe lane in Fulwood, Sheffield (opposite Stumperlowe Hall). My grandfather has lived in the house since 1960. From my research the Laycock family lived there from the 1850's until the late 1920's. W. E Laycock was mayor of Sheffield in 1865.

Any information would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Chris C.

This is from the Fulwood Sports Club website. It appears that Mr C. A. Laycock was one of the first directors of the club:

Charles Albert Laycock

Stumperlowe Grange

Stumperlowe Hall Road, Sheffield.

Chairman & Managing Director of Samuel Laycock & Sons Ltd.,

Hair-seating Manufacturers

• 1 month later...

Mr William Samuel Laycock of Laycock Engineering at Millhouses was the son of W. E. Laycock. Are there any relatives of the Laycock engineering family out there who might have some information or old photographs of this family?

I have a 1903 copy of an Ordnance Survey map for Fulwood.. On the back are lists of residents - For Stumperlowe, it reads:

"Mr Chas A Laycock - a Hair Merchant."

"Isaac H Dixon, JP, at Stumperlowe Hall."

"John Hutchinson - farmer."

"John Lawson - farmer

The Hall and Grange are shown on the map, as well as Stumperlowe Grange Farm.

• 1 year later...

I did have relatives who I thought had the address of Stumperlowe Grange, Fulwood Sheffield they lived there in the 50's 60's I used to visit as a child. I am now 61 and living in Canada. I remember it was a beautiful house in it's own grounds and my Uncle was called Gordon Cumming he was then Personnel Manager at Samual Foxes. I do know my Auntie Kath passed away a few years ago, but dont know if Uncle Gordon still lives there. Any help would be really nice. Jan Softly then Janet Ward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I found this quite by accident whilst putting "W laycock and son" into google

Is this the same laycock who has a building that has lain empty for as long as I can remember near the train station that says "W Laycock and Son, Manufacturers of Bias Buffs" ?

I've always wondered about the history of that building.

Archived