Millhouses Boating Pond - do you remember it?

When I was only a nipper, my dad used to take us to Millhouses park. I remember playing on the rides, especially the bucking bronco horse-thingy which seated about 12 people and you had enormous fun tiring yourself out pushing it to and fro!!:hihi:

My main memories of the place though are of the Boating Pond, where you could pay to hire a small boat and row it round till your number was called out. Then it was time to have a great big ice cream cone and laze on the grass at the side of the park in the red hot sunshine!!! oh what days!

Anyway, I was wondering if any forum members here might have some pictures of the boats and the pond, probably late 70's just so I can sit back and reminisce! :thumbsup:

When I was only a nipper, my dad used to take us to Millhouses park. I remember playing on the rides, especially the bucking bronco horse-thingy which seated about 12 people and you had enormous fun tiring yourself out pushing it to and fro!!:hihi:

My main memories of the place though are of the Boating Pond, where you could pay to hire a small boat and row it round till your number was called out. Then it was time to have a great big ice cream cone and laze on the grass at the side of the park in the red hot sunshine!!! oh what days!

Anyway, I was wondering if any forum members here might have some pictures of the boats and the pond, probably late 70's just so I can sit back and reminisce! :thumbsup:

During the 1940s, I've memorys of the Model (Mainly Sailing) Boating Lake and I would imagine that my elder brother ' Raymond ' as even better one's!!

Our mother use to take us to Millhouses Park during the second world war years at long weekends and/or bank holidays. I can not remember a time when I did not fall into that Boating Lake getting soaked.

So that I didn't get too cold, before we joined the long queue for the tram and bus jouney home, Raymond would be half stripped of his dry clothes, which I used.

This allowed me to travel back home in comfort.

At that time we slept together in the same bed and he would wait until it was convienient, making sure that my mother could hear, then give me a right walloping.

I can remember the the boating pond as you say just going round and round until they shouted the proverbial, come in number ... your time is up.

also remember going paddling in the paddling pool,

I came from attercliffe a and by the time we had got there on the bus, I thought I'd been on a day trip.

The boating lake is still in use and although the boats are now made of fibreglass rather than wood they look almost the same. Kids don't seem to have the same stamina nowadays as I used to paddle round the entire pond at a furious pace trying to beat my friends but the kids nowadays seem to get tired a lot faster after a few yards they seem happy enough to let the boats drift.

The boating lake is still in use and although the boats are now made of fibreglass rather than wood they look almost the same. Kids don't seem to have the same stamina nowadays as I used to paddle round the entire pond at a furious pace trying to beat my friends but the kids nowadays seem to get tired a lot faster after a few yards they seem happy enough to let the boats drift.

This is a very concerning factor that not very many people are aware of:

' Kids don't seem to have the same stamina nowadays as I used to paddle round the entire pond at a furious pace trying to beat my friends but the kids nowadays seem to get tired a lot faster after a few yards they seem happy enough to let the boats drift '.

It is also a fact that all males youths, up to the age of 22 yrs until 1960 were required to do National Service in the armed forces. Prior to enlisting, all young men had to take a medical examination to ensure that they were physically and psychically suitable.

I understand at the same standard, that only fifty percent of young men would be exceptable today and the provision would be made, that fifty percent of these would be eventually discharged, because they would be unsuitable for armed combat training.

If this as got anything with the climate change or not, time will tell!!

We lived at the other side of town.......so our visits were a whole day.

Bus into town centre, and another bus to get there.

Picnic by the river, the boating lake, paddling pools. I remember it well...early 60's.

As a kid living in south Derbyshire, I first saw this fabulous children's park whilst passing through Sheffield en route to Manchester on a train. I did some research, and managed to persuade my local Methodist Sunday School to organise their annual outing to Millhouses Park the following summer.

It was a terrific day. The sun shone and we splashed around in the pool, looked for fish in the river, played rounders, and we all had a large ice cream before piling into the coach to go back home.

Archived