Millhouses Boating Pond - do you remember it?

The boating pond in Millhouses Park was originally built for model yachts. Rowing boats and paddle boats came much later.

There was also a large outdoor draughts board where one could hire pieces to play.

That is the boating lake which I normally fell into. At that time the present café did not exist. I've recollections of my Mother being able to buy a jug of hot water to make tea from somewhere.

Does this rock anyones mind regarding, ' Who from? '.

I remember playing draughts on the Draught Board. But can't remember where it was located.

I've recollections of my Mother being able to buy a jug of hot water to make tea from somewhere.

Does this rock anyones mind regarding, ' Who from? '.

I think it was from the back door of the 'tea-rooms' which were next door to the Waggon and Horses.

The draughts board ISTR was between the boating pond and the swimming pool near to the path by the river. There was a keeper's caboosh and a drinking fountain too if my memory is correct.

I can remember tennis courts too on the west side of the boating pond.

Something about millhouses park always prefered it to edcliffe when i was young and still do.

I remeber the lido,the paddling pool (still there but no water) and of course the paddle boats.

Also remeber the original playground complete with climbing frame,slide and hobby horse thingy ;)

Still jog through it quiet often in the early mornings.

My very favourite park is Graves' Park.

As a young boy, it had everything one could wish for. Lots of paths, a huge area of level grassland, dense woods, rivers to be paddled in and lakes full of fish! There was an Open-Air Theatre, a café, a nine-hole golf course, putting green and tennis courts.

Woe betide any youngster, however, who ventured onto the sacred bowling green!

There was an underground culvert where a stream went under the road and emerged at the back of the Masons' Arms pub. (Now, the Big Tree)

The culvert was quite big enough for a small boy to get through but it was a very brave lad who ever did it!

I think it was from the back door of the 'tea-rooms' which were next door to the Waggon and Horses.

The draughts board ISTR was between the boating pond and the swimming pool near to the path by the river. There was a keeper's caboosh and a drinking fountain too if my memory is correct.

I can remember tennis courts too on the west side of the boating pond.

Thank you for un-blocking my memory. If I remember correctly the ' Tea-rooms ' were very much like a large green house.

I've always understood that the paddling pools adjacent to the river sheaf were closed off because of pollution from the river water. Have they, or are they now open again, now that the modernisation of the sewerage pipework at Totley and Totley Brook is now completed?

as i remember it the draughts board was at the side of the bowls pavillion which burned down some years ago it was furthest away from the lido behind the tennis courts. millhouses park to me was special cos it was a small park (as parks go) but with absolutely loads to do

I also remember the miniature golf that was between the river & the tennis courts.1950s

So do I now you've mentioned it. I must have a walk around the park next week instead of passing it whilst sitting on the bus.

I've often wondered what the city would have done if Alderman J.G.Graves had not bought the park land when a few years ago the Yorkshire Water were creating the huge sewage holding tank that is now under the Cricket Pitch.

Which is just one of the reasons why the Notice Boards that told people who had donated the open space should be put back.

Archived