Millhouses Boating Pond - do you remember it?

I remember my mum falling into the boating pond, must have been in the early Eighties, I guess. She was trying to lift my brother out of the boat and onto dry land - I didn't know about keeping paddling to keep the boat near the side and so it just kind of drifted away. I really must remind her of that when I see her tomorrow!

I was brought up in Millhouses, so an awful lot of my childhood memories involve the park. Many happy days spent there, that's for sure.

I feel sure that at in the 1940s the boating pond was just like a ordinary pond. It was later given a brick surrounding with the ashphalt pathway when the paddle boats stated in the (1960s?) Can anyone confirm this?

errrrrrrrrm no

mind things are a bit hazy about millhouses tbh, it was the other side of sheff to us, i remember the lilo etc.

the boating pond i do remember was high hazels park tho

I don't remember a boating pool at High Hazels but I remember playing for hours on the one at Millhouses. My father, three brothers and myself, a girl, were there every Sunday, Th "yacht" was home made but sailed better than the posh ones. The pool got a bit crowded with toy boats, paddle boats and the occasional duck - but how the time flew.

Just up the road from millhouses park are ecclesall woods. Can you remember the sweet chestnut trees in there. We went every year to collect them then take them home & boil them. Great.

Why aren't the Sweet Chestnut Trees now growing in the wild not producing the large sweet nuts we can remember? As something happened, or is it that the trees have got older?

Fell in the boating lake as a 2 year old...my grandad pulled me out;mum went crazy at him for letting me get too near the edge.I remember a big woman lending us some towels from the hut-not sure who she was or what her job was though.:huh:

Fell in the boating lake as a 2 year old...my grandad pulled me out;mum went crazy at him for letting me get too near the edge.I remember a big woman lending us some towels from the hut-not sure who she was or what her job was though.:huh:

I don't think there is a kid in Sheffield that hasn't been dunked in that pond - plus many other ponds. The best part of going to Millhouses for me was being allowed to go upstairs on the tram. We would wait ages, letting other trams go to make sure we got a seat in the front bay. Those were the days my friend.

I fell in that pond every time I went to Millhouses. (' In fact after I got married and took my son's, I once fell in!! ') Every time I fell my mother half stripped my elder brother so that I could get home in dry clothes.

That night, when we went to bed, he always gave me a right walloping.

Later in life, When he was called up for his National Service, he actually became Southern Command Flyweight Champion at Boxing.

I've often thought it must have been at my expence!!!

I fell in that pond every time I went to Millhouses. (' In fact after I got married and took my son's, I once fell in!! ') Every time I fell my mother half stripped my elder brother so that I could get home in dry clothes.

That night, when we went to bed, he always gave me a right walloping.

Later in life, When he was called up for his National Service, he actually became Southern Command Flyweight Champion at Boxing.

I've often thought it must have been at my expence!!!

As I always say Albert, you can't get anywhere in life without a good dunking.

In the 30's,Millhouses park was like an oasis to us young lads. In the Summer

time there were loads of little cricket matches going on,it was hazardous with all those cork balls flying about! In Spring time ,for about 6 weeks,no-one

was allowed to play ball games there to allow the grass to grow. At school,once a week for part of the afternoon,we would march down to Wolsey

Rd to go to Millhouses on a special tram,to play football or cricket ,depending on the season. Millhouses park was one of my very favourite places,I still remember it with a great deal of affection after all those years (over 70 !).

Archived