New on the block. Advice welcome

What a fantastic forum!

I'm into family history and a lot of my relatives lived at various Attercliffe & Darnall addresses. I myself didn't live there long – about five or six years, 1944-ish to 1950 –but I have some good memories of the place.

Dad kept a shop at the corner of Shirland Lane and Britnall Street and I went to school at Huntsman's Gardens.( I remember being a bit handy at mabs which we played on the cobblestones of Bodmin Street. )

I passed the "Scholarship" exam and also an Art Scholarship so at age eleven I went to the Sheffield College of Arts and Crafts in Arundel Street –opposite the bottom of Surrey St. Now, long gone.

I visited Sheffield a few years ago and was amazed by the changes. Bodmin St looked like a bomb had hit it, Hunstmans Gardens had disappeared, and the view from the bottom of Britnall Street revealed a bloody great Sports Stadium!

The Baths building was still there, but no longer functional, and the aqueduct across Worksop/Darnall Road was still there. I must have gone under that dozens of times but I can never remember walking across the top. We played by the canal further up between Shirland Lane and Staniforth Rd.

I'm coming on another visit soon and hope to take a closer a look at what's left of my Attercliffe and other places. If anybody can help me stir the memories, that would be great.

Hi MadSnail and welcome to SF.

Put the words Darnall and Attercliffe into Search on the left of this page and it should bring up some good stuff.

I have been fascinated by some of the things written here about the area, forummer Bluebird was very helpfull to me when i was researching the area, You'll find some very knowledgable folk on here.

Also try this site for Pictures http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/database_search.php

• 2 months later...
What a fantastic forum!

I'm into family history and a lot of my relatives lived at various Attercliffe & Darnall addresses. I myself didn't live there long – about five or six years, 1944-ish to 1950 –but I have some good memories of the place.

Dad kept a shop at the corner of Shirland Lane and Britnall Street and I went to school at Huntsman's Gardens.( I remember being a bit handy at mabs which we played on the cobblestones of Bodmin Street. )

I passed the "Scholarship" exam and also an Art Scholarship so at age eleven I went to the Sheffield College of Arts and Crafts in Arundel Street –opposite the bottom of Surrey St. Now, long gone.

I visited Sheffield a few years ago and was amazed by the changes. Bodmin St looked like a bomb had hit it, Hunstmans Gardens had disappeared, and the view from the bottom of Britnall Street revealed a bloody great Sports Stadium!

The Baths building was still there, but no longer functional, and the aqueduct across Worksop/Darnall Road was still there. I must have gone under that dozens of times but I can never remember walking across the top. We played by the canal further up between Shirland Lane and Staniforth Rd.

I'm coming on another visit soon and hope to take a closer a look at what's left of my Attercliffe and other places. If anybody can help me stir the memories, that would be great.

What addresses in Darnall and Attercliffe? I was born and bred in Darnall and lived there for 17 years. Grandparents lived in Attercliffe so we spent a lot of time there too. Went to School at Whitby Road Infants and Junior, passing 11 plus to Owler Lane Intermediate.

Lindley A 30Peel O'Cnnr 93147364

A E & H F 5CrossingVwByfd ..95262353

. . . .

J 17PinedaleEVicPk 93616297

J 5MoonstonePI Gsnls ……0433637498

J 5Coronado Rd Iluka

Mobile Service ……… 0412970310

J 5Coronado Rd Iluka . 93042673

Mobile Service 0408 808 552 J B & G F 11HarrisPlmyra…..93397919

JD&TE

14CootamundraWayMdaVIe…9454 6970

J K 38PaltaraWayWann …94053838

J M 32BaswndeanPdeBsndn…93783982

K 4KurrajoNAppAtwi ………… 94986025

As you can see from the above, you wouldn't have too many J.Lindley's to ring here in Perth.

Trouble is, there's another 20 million Aussies living a couple of thousand miles to the East !

You do need more info on whereabouts he went.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents were both from the East End. They used to drink in the 'Railway' and 'Top Common' pubs. My Ma was born in the Railway Cottages and my Father's sister emigrated to Oz in the 50's. She was called Laverne, married to Albert and they had three sons. I have an Aussie staying with me at the moment. He's from Adelaide though.

My best mate at Juniour school emigrated to Perth back in the 70's and I managed to find him on t'internet quite by accident whilst looking at a local history site!

Archived