Max Fitness in Walkley

Does anyone know what facilities are on offer at Max Fitness in Walkley? Think it's on Bole Hill Road. Drove past it this morning and saw a big sign, but never heard anything about it. Also thought S10 at Sheffield Uni might be an option.

• 3 years later...

Max Fitness is £4-£4.50/session as I recall, pretty sure I've been charged both dependent on who's at the counter! Monthly I seem to remember it being about £28.

They've got about 4 running machines, 5 or so bikes, a big free weights area (full of BIG free weights), bench press, smith press, etc. They've also got an area of weights machines, so leg press, pec deck, lat pulldown, that kind of thing. Then there's another area of lighter free weights with preacher curl bench, two pulleys, a small abs/stretching room and a room with a fairly sturdy punchbag and a speed bag. They've got a sauna in the changing room too.

Decent gym all round. Very much a "proper" gym (so when its busy, its the smith press you can't get near rather than the running machines!), friendly place and good value for money.

There you go. Everything you could want to know about Max Fitness!

• 3 months later...

I used it last summer rather than my normal gym. The staff were very friendly, the equipment was dated, but worked well enough and there was a large weights area.

It is a real fitness gym. I paid per session, which was expensive.

There is also a gym near the running track opposite the old Tapton Halls of Residence; this is smart and you can use the running track.

The Uni S10 gym is open to the public and you get the added benefit of the pool and lots of classes; this is a monthly sub.

As everyone has said, Max Fitness is a "proper" gym, rather than a fitness centre. There are cardio machines, as mentioned (rowing machines, bikes, treadmills, etc.), and a lot of free weight (i.e. Olympic 45 pound plates), and big dumbells. Everyone seems really friendly. Cheaper to pay by the month I think.

Archived