Opening a middle eastern cafe/deli

ra16

I'm thinking of opening up a .middle eastern informal cafe and deli.

The point of this post is to gather some opinions from all you diners out there!

I don't really know of any good middle eastern places to eat in sheffield....Am i wrong?

Location wise where do people like eating?

My idea at the moment is to have an informal dining area with a deli section offering some easily prepared food at home.

The food would be simple but of a high standard and reasonably priced.

I have had good Lebanese food at Rowsha in Walkley and some not bad stuff at Sheiks on West Street. I love the food but at both places it is really too pricey for what is quite simple food. I would definitely eat this style of food more often if the price were better and buy takeaways/ingredients if your place was in Crookes.......

I have also had Egyptian food recently, at a friend's house. Melokhia, wara' enab, bamya - I could eat a lot more of this!

Good luck!

Pete

Can't think of any in Sheffield but I went to a great little middle eastern cafe in Leeds once - you got served at a counter which did salads, humus, wraps etc and then took it upstairs to eat sat on these lovely benches, relaxed atmosphere etc. I would definitely like something like that in Sheff. More cafe than restaurant, we have sooo many restaurants.

I love Lebanese and often go to Shiekhs but find it quite a lot of money.

A cafe where you get wraps etc (like above post) would be great.

VEGGIE food on the menu please (and I don't mean fish)!

I can only think of Sheiks and Rowsha that do middle eastern food, but they're both formal sit-down places and it sounds like your idea is a bit different to that anyway. Personally I go for city centre places or Walkley/Crookes to eat out, just for convenience really. I also vote for some vegetarian/vegan food on the menu, but then there are a lot of middle eastern dishes that are vegetarian anyway so that shouldn't be too much of a difficulty. *hungry*

Theres also the Turkish place on London Road - Zeughmah. Food is fab, its a bit less formal (and a bit cheaper) but quite small and always rammed!

Would definitely welcome something Middle Eastern around the Hillsborough area - but would travel anywhere in the city for Felafel as good as the ones I had in Cairo!

Sheffette - was the place in Leeds the 'Sahara' by any chance - on the Headrow by Argos? I used to go there a lot, it was fab, haven't been for ages but now you have reminded me...

Heres a thing - the Sahara did Shisha - Water pipes with fruit tobacco - would love it if there was a place in Sheffield that did, but I guess it will not be possible under the new smoking ban? Shame!

Heres a thing - the Sahara did Shisha - Water pipes with fruit tobacco - would love it if there was a place in Sheffield that did, but I guess it will not be possible under the new smoking ban? Shame!

Shiraz on Abbeydale Road do that, but I guess you'll have to get there quick to try it!

I'm thinking of opening up a .middle eastern informal cafe and deli.

The point of this post is to gather some opinions from all you diners out there!

I don't really know of any good middle eastern places to eat in sheffield....Am i wrong?

Location wise where do people like eating?

My idea at the moment is to have an informal dining area with a deli section offering some easily prepared food at home.

The food would be simple but of a high standard and reasonably priced.

Well, Ra16, the feedback was pretty positive. Have you had any more thoughts on your Cafe/Deli? I would be happy to see one in Crookes..........

Pete

Archived