Honour killings. Why do they do it?

Its more of a cultural thing not a religous thing (it happens across lots of different religions).. I read on bbc news that on the first attempt of killing her, the father tried to give her alcohol.. hardly a muslim thing..

Im asian myself and it sickens me when I hear about things like... thankfully myself or anybody i know has had to go through such an experience.. and they are quite rare. However i believe it still happens in some remote tribal areas of south asian countries.. despite the government attempts to stop it (although how much they try, is a different question)... There are also alot of support groups being created accross the country's (well i know this is true for Pakistan anyway) so hopefully this will be a problem which starts to go away... however like i said the problem is mainly in tribal areas where everything is undercover, so its easier said than done

I just can't comprehend how anybody can even think about killing a loved one or even harming them... just baffles me..

Poor girl , I hope the father and uncle rot away in Prison.. I hope this will spur the police to take these cases much more seriously

Did you also notice how the police met resistance from the locals, to the point that they were "defending" the guilty parties?

Are these the same folk who keep banging the drum about how we must all integrate?

If that's an example of their so-called culture, they can keep it, thanks very much.

can anybody tell me why

they feel they need to murder there children just because they are going out with somebody they do not approve of :confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6743357.stm

Familial murder happens in many societies and in this country the most likely person to murder you will be family members.

The horrible irony here is that allegedly the family thought that somehow this would restore honour to the family whereas in the eyes of most , this has the exact opposite effect.

The police were contacted several times but weren't able to help.

What a terrible end to your life, knowing that your family are probably going to kill you and feeling you have nowhere to turn to.

Killing your daughter because her lover wasnt a strict muslim? Such a peaceful religion :rolleyes:

Don't take the actions of a few to represent the feelings of the many. The vast majority of Muslims in this country would be appalled this, I'm sure. (not that this is strictly a religious issue anyway).

Don't take the actions of a few to represent the feelings of the many. The vast majority of Muslims in this country would be appalled this, I'm sure. (not that this is strictly a religious issue anyway).

Taken from Reuters news site:

Her family decided to kill her because they believed the relationship had shamed them as Suleimani was an Iranian Kurd and not a strict Muslim

So in this case it was a religious issue. I agree though that the vast majority of muslims would be horrified, I just find it incredibly hard to beleive that these things can happen in the name of religion. There must be something which gives these people (her killers) the belief that what they have done is right.

Archived