Any Sheffield Video Games Industry People on the Forum?

Sounds like the same pattern that we have, although my errors are more usually along the lines of "Object not set" rather than "The big gun jams when you turn to the left". :)

Doing it in the correct spirit is so imortant - it should be competitive, in a way, rather than overtly adversarial.

Another ex-Gremlin/Infogrames bod (alreet Mick :wave:) best time of my working life was at Gremlin as a tester. Yes it was long hours and dead dead boring as mentioned before. But i've never had the same camaraderie anywhere else like i had there. But all good things come to an end (cheers Froggies) and after a short spell at PlusNet i'm now coming up to 3 years working for Zoo Interactive Entertainment doing Interactive DVD games.

You are absolutely spot on with the comment about cameraderie.

There are probably few jobs outside the of the army where a team spirit is so important. Helping keep each other smiling during those early mornings or all nighters is so important. Also, a good team player offers to take on the tasks of others if they are snowed under, even though its two in the morning and you have finished your tasks and could therefore go home.

I have worked with many such people and they are brilliant. The ones who arent prepared to make any sacrifices for their mates are the ones who end up being left on the fringes, never quite as close knit as the guys who form the core.

Where you at Gremlin when Paul Green was there, Mick?

Yes I was Ant.

1994 -2002. Eight before the mouse and monitor :)

Best piece of advice for anyone in the games industry: Don't sell your world renowned software business to French people. It'll all end in tears. And garlic ....

Evening too you too Robert. Still bashing out the bugs I see :)

best time of my working life was at Gremlin as a tester. Yes it was long hours and dead dead boring as mentioned before. But i've never had the same camaraderie anywhere else like i had there. But all good things come to an end (cheers Froggies)

I don't know what the "modern" games industry is like (Jeez, I've only been out of it five years!!), but I'll echo everything said above. I'll NEVER ever have another job as great as the one at Gremlin.

Unless it's testing chips and pies on a gold yacht in the Bahamas....

I know of at least 2 games developers on the forum who have yet to respond to this thread- one of whom is very well renowned amongst the community but now lives in the US.

I'm sure he'll see and respond if he would like to be known.

are his initials R.I?

If they are, he's an old school pal of mine:hihi:

I currently work with loads of the old Gremlin guys. Great bunch, and all very clever. Sad stories about the French era are all too common. Terrible shame. I wasnt part of that original group, sadly.

I havent heard one voice critical of the days when it was Gremlin, everyone sounds totally nostalgic about those cool times.

I havent heard one voice critical of the days when it was Gremlin, everyone sounds totally nostalgic about those cool times.

I heard lots of critical voices in the early 90s about working there- but then I shared a house with people who had left recently to form another company or move to competitors.

Archived