Staniforth Road

Hi - I lived there as a child 1969 - 1981 when they pulled all the houses down. I think the depot you are refering to, was then B.R.S. (British Road Services) if I remember correctly.

Yes, that would make sense owing to the loading bays that were there. Thanks for the info. All the best. :)

Right, I've been to have a look and it seems that rather than a name change its just lost its name altogether!

The sign on the corner of the street in question says 'LEADING TO BROAD OAKS' and then Broad Oaks itself runs along the back of Shoppacheck (there is a sign with arrows to indicate this).

It seems that Fearnehough Street is now demoted to a 'Leading To'... :o

Right, I've been to have a look and it seems that rather than a name change its just lost its name altogether!

The sign on the corner of the street in question says 'LEADING TO BROAD OAKS' and then Broad Oaks itself runs along the back of Shoppacheck (there is a sign with arrows to indicate this).

It seems that Fearnehough Street is now demoted to a 'Leading To'... :o

That sounds about right Meaks, I checked the address of Shoppercheck just in case it was on Fearnehough Street but the address is 180 Stanniforth Road. You have done a good bit of detective work there Meaks and at least we can say Fearnehough Street is still there, but unfortunately there aren't any houses any more. :)

• 4 months later...

There was indeed a Ferneough Street, I was born in 1951 and our house was on the very corner of Ferneough Street and also on Stanniforth Road, our house is now a Shopacheck office. A little was up was Broad Oaks and opposite us was BRS. I remember well the Easter Parade with the May Queen that would proceed along Stanniforth Road and end up at High Hazels Park, there were two men who wore large papermache heads and hey used to scare the living daylights out of m. It was a long time ago but those were the days!!

• 5 months later...
There was indeed a Ferneough Street, I was born in 1951 and our house was on the very corner of Ferneough Street and also on Stanniforth Road, our house is now a Shopacheck office. A little was up was Broad Oaks and opposite us was BRS. I remember well the Easter Parade with the May Queen that would proceed along Stanniforth Road and end up at High Hazels Park, there were two men who wore large papermache heads and hey used to scare the living daylights out of m. It was a long time ago but those were the days!!

l suppose most of you will have guessed, but my name is Fearnehough and was, at the time, going to research and find if it was anyone in my ancestral forebears named it. Cheers Arthur.

Archived