SO, Child Obesity IS "a Form of Neglect" Shame on YOU!

Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?

• Yes
    • No
    • If they looked after their kids in the 1st place this wouldn't happen
    • Don't care

Which vigilante group is this? I haven't seen any evidence of people taking the law into their own hands and tackling these parents. Also as I said before this is about the welfare of children not the feelings of parents.

Well, I do not know if it goes that far... but critising others is a starting point imho.

Again, I will reiterate myself. I do not think that such issues should be pushed through the social welfare system. We are talking about feeding a child. Compare such issues to physical abuse, or even letting a child run wild and eat their own faeces, *that* is child neglect. Feeding a child is not. As to the obesities cases and the child weighing however many stones...where do you draw that line of "neglect"? You tell me.

Am I in an argument here?!

You obviously have a poor grasp of English:

argument

· n.

1 a heated exchange of diverging or opposite views.

2 a set of reasons given in support of something.

3 Mathematics & Logic an independent variable associated with a function or proposition and determining its value, e.g. x in y = F(x).

4 Linguistics any of the noun phrases in a clause that are related directly to the verb.

5 archaic a summary of the subject matter of a book.

– PHRASES argument from design Christian Theology the argument that God’s existence is demonstrable from the evidence of design in the universe.

– ORIGIN ME: via OFr. from L. argumentum, from arguere ‘make clear, prove, accuse’.

I truly do not understand why it is okay to blame others for their child's welfare! Am I the only one missing the point here?

I appreciate it if someone tell me that this isn't the case.

Bago, you have blamed everyone from Food Purveyors operating supermarkets, those manufacturers who process off-the-shelf foods, fluoride additions in public water supplies to aid the dental health of children, the idea that only food "picked" from trees in our gardens is worthy food (regardless of the fact that it's an impractical proposition), and ultimately accused all mothers of being guilty at some time or other of neglecting their children.

I won't mention the McCann references from you. :)

Does that answer your question? :hihi:

not make a big fuss about the standard of school dinners, when their child are served junk food.

And what school in Sheffield is doing this?

All the menus for Sheffield schools are available from the council. All look pretty healthy to me. I know of two schools that provide a lot of healthy options. One is a JI, the other is a comprehensive). Both run by the council.

You really have no real idea:rolleyes:

If somebody told you how to lead your life, do you like it? No? Same thing. Are you telling me that you like others dictating how you lead your life? Even if your intention for your child was all well and good too?

Who is telling anyone how to lead (never mind dictate) anyone’s life? Telling a parent that their actions could be seriously harming their child is hardly an Orwellian proposition is it?

I have often posted on here and been told that things I do could be harmful, and I take it as constructive criticism. I don't fly off the handle and start screaming '1984'.

You seem to have very two-dimensional thinking on this subject. By your reckoning, it would be wrong to tell a heroin addict not to leave their needles lying around the house for her toddler to play with...

After all, I haven't met a drug addict yet who would WILLINGLY harm their child.

Well, I do not know if it goes that far... but critising others is a starting point imho.

Again, I will reiterate myself. I do not think that such issues should be pushed through the social welfare system. We are talking about feeding a child. Compare such issues to physical abuse, or even letting a child run wild and eat their own faeces, *that* is child neglect. Feeding a child is not. As to the obesities cases and the child weighing however many stones...where do you draw that line of "neglect"? You tell me.

It would appear that you don't understand neglect. If the child is not being given the correct exercise and nutritional balance to give it a healthy life due to the parents not being bothered to do it properly then it's neglect. They are neglecting to feed their child correctly. Sometimes it's hard to get a child to eat a balanced diet, well boohoo, sometimes life is tough.

If you overfeed an animal then you can risk prosecution are you saying that children are less important than the family dog?

You obviously have a poor grasp of English:

argument

· n.

1 a heated exchange of diverging or opposite views.

2 a set of reasons given in support of something.

3 Mathematics & Logic an independent variable associated with a function or proposition and determining its value, e.g. x in y = F(x).

4 Linguistics any of the noun phrases in a clause that are related directly to the verb.

5 archaic a summary of the subject matter of a book.

– PHRASES argument from design Christian Theology the argument that God’s existence is demonstrable from the evidence of design in the universe.

– ORIGIN ME: via OFr. from L. argumentum, from arguere ‘make clear, prove, accuse’.

I was annoyed and heated up not because of what has been said or not said. It was because I am targetted again and my words misconstrued. Then I suddenly see several threads reeling off in a tangent and people throwing insults. So I retaliated back to that. If they cared to read exactly what I wrote, then maybe they would've understood where I came from. I had never said that I endorsed junk food, but many people jumped onto the bandwagon and assumed that I did.

I merely do not agree that it is a form of neglect. Even the poll is not asking whether it is a form of neglect or not, but just asking whether parents should be blamed for obesities or not. So it is decided that obesities is a form of neglect?? I thought that the beginning of the thread *was* asking whether it is neglect or not, and whether it was "child abuse"?

Anyway, I don't want to go on and on and on... cos it is just endless.

At the end of the day, I do feel for those parents who have a child and is very overweight that they are being scrutinised like that by the general public. If only others also see that "intention" is a crime, then Emily from Big Bro should've gotten what she also deserved too. Cos ignorance is also a crime these days, is it? Good intention of parents are not good enough.

Anyway, I will get off this thread now.

Hooray:hihi:

Since I have made my point.

You've made yourself look silly (and I know what silly is, I've a Masters somewhere:thumbsup:)

Going round and just pointing fingers and making others aware of their own words is just fruitless!

We're blaming the parents for allowing thier children to decide when, why, what to eat. Which is planly wrong. It's you, that has tried to blame all and sundry - the sole exception being the people who have the ability to make a difference - the parents:rolleyes:

So I will stop.

Phew:D

And what school in Sheffield is doing this?

All the menus for Sheffield schools are available from the council. All look pretty healthy to me. I know of two schools that provide a lot of healthy options. One is a JI, the other is a comprehensive). Both run by the council.

You really have no real idea:rolleyes:

Please look at their entire record for the past 10 years... Don't tell me that a child of age 10 were not fed junk food. Even I was fed junk food and the menus were changed when I was a child... Times are changing and indeed many children are now the product of their own environments.

It is not just what is taught from home too but what a parent allows their child to expose to outside of their own home. Peer pressure etc.

Oh well, so you are basing the whole argument on one school or a few schools alone? If that is the case, then why did Jamie Olivier kicked up a fuss and made others be more aware of this? Using current stats of schools on children who had already gone through their growing process doesn't quite wash with myself tbh.

Archived