SO, Child Obesity IS "a Form of Neglect" Shame on YOU!

Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?

• Yes
    • No
    • If they looked after their kids in the 1st place this wouldn't happen
    • Don't care

All I am saying is that, some people can be a certain way, and that they are the product of their own environments.

Oh, come on Bago. You can only blame the "environment" for so much. These people are also parents and as such are responsible for the health and well being of their children if they choose to have them.

A poor diet leading to obesity is just as bad, if not worse, than a poor diet leading to a child being underweight. It's just a different form of malnutrition.

I agree that parents should first be given support and advice to make the huge shift that a fundamental change in diet requires but, if after receiving this help, they don't make those changes, then surely there has to be some sanction in the interests of the child? It's not hard to provide a good diet. Cut out the fried foods/fats, ready meals/takeaways and provide healthy snacks not crisps, sweets and chocolates. And then get the kids moving. I reckon if you're a parent, it's incumbent on you to ensure your kid gets a good diet and exercise. It's hardly rocket science.

Mod. Note

I appreciate that this is a passionate topic - however, I MUST ask you to stop the personal comments and bickering.

I don't want to clsoe the thread, but I would ask you all to just take deep breaths and argue the points, not bicker at the posters. If the bickering continues, I will close it without further comment.

Thanks.

where did I mention sexual or physical abuse? You really are clutching at straws now.:roll:

I maintain that all abuse is unacceptable and how dare you put words in my mouth:rant:

Yet you think that it's okay to put words in MY mouth?! :mad:

I asked you a perfectly good question, you can answer it with a yes or no.

I have NOT endorsed any parents should feed their child junk food, but yet many people assumed that I did imply that. Fine. I can't stop them from doing that. Yet, sticking up for myself and saying it, does not stop people from making further comments. Yet, I do see the human side which is that, NO parents want to neglect their child, yet, many others do not think so. SO... yet, they think that intention and action are not the same.

What more can be said??

If I am to stay on topic, the thread had been about whether it is neglect or not. Not whether parents who feed their kids junk are bad parents or not.

If people really read what is written.

I have NOT endorsed any parents should feed their child junk food

Neither have you said they shouldn't.

As I understand, you basic stance is "leave them to get on with it" which is a woefully misguided approach to child care.

Whether you like it or not, some people need to be told how to raise their kids, at least in terms of basic provision and welfare. If this weren't the case, why do agencies such as social services exist?

Yet you think that it's okay to put words in MY mouth?! :mad:

I asked you a perfectly good question, you can answer it with a yes or no.

I have NOT endorsed any parents should feed their child junk food, but yet many people assumed that I did imply that. Fine. I can't stop them from doing that. Yet, sticking up for myself and saying it, does not stop people from making further comments. Yet, I do see the human side which is that, NO parents want to neglect their child, yet, many others do not think so. SO... yet, they think that intention and action are not the same.

What more can be said??

If I am to stay on topic, the thread had been about whether it is neglect or not. Not whether parents who feed their kids junk are bad parents or not.

I answered your question, now you answer mine. Is it right that people can be prosecuted for over feeding a dog but they won't be for a child?

I voted 'yes'. Ultimately, parents are responsible for educating their children with regard to healthy eating and exercise. There's a wealth of resources and help around for those who might find it difficult to do so.
I agree with you, Halibut but I would add the responsibility "modeling" to that of educating. If I see a fat kid, I look for the fat parents. It's not usually a case of parents feeding their kids a poor diet and eating a good one themselves. It's a family thing and the parents are setting a bad example by not showing the child how to be healthy either through education or good example.

And the majority of people on here have stated that it is neglect, but feeding your kids bad food etc and not teaching them a healthy appropriate lifestyle amounts to the same thing.:roll:

Neither have you said they shouldn't.

As I understand, you basic stance is "leave them to get on with it" which is a woefully misguided approach to child care.

Whether you like it or not, some people need to be told how to raise their kids, at least in terms of basic provision and welfare. If this weren't the case, why do agencies such as social services exist?

I have after made my stance clear after people made insinuation that was what they had in their minds. How much did they actually read what I wrote to be honest? Only a handful did.

To me, respecting the choice of individuals is not neglect. Why is there this "I must control" everyone's lives come from? I do not understand that. I really don't. It's almost like ganging up on individuals, and making a big fuss of it. At the end of the day it is their children, their lives... their reasons. Why should they need to justify to you? It is obvious and shown by myself that how tetchy many had been just because I wrote something which hit a nerve about THEIR child. So, on that basis and understanding, how fair is it to marginalise those who have obese kids?

Whether I like it or not, I am rightly to voice my opinion, am I not? Whether rightly or not, I do not think that you as a citizen has any rights over such issues as other people's lives when it does not directly impact on you.

A lot of people live in very different circumstances than you think they do. Not all social care reaches the people that gets it. That's the bottomline.

I answered your question, now you answer mine. Is it right that people can be prosecuted for over feeding a dog but they won't be for a child?

I did not know that you can be prosecuted over that.

I am not a dog lover... so you can guess my answer to that one.

Are you telling me that parents should be prosecuted and therefore possibly making the child parentless??? :confused:

Great.

Whether I like it or not, I am rightly to voice my opinion, am I not? Whether rightly or not, I do not think that you as a citizen has any rights over such issues as other people's lives when it does not directly impact on you.
But there is a citizen who impacts on another person's life: the parent of the child who feeds it such a poor diet that it becomes obese. The child invariably has no power to do anything to protect his/herself from this. Consequently, outside agencies have to become involved.

Archived