SO, Child Obesity IS "a Form of Neglect" Shame on YOU!

Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?

• Yes
    • No
    • If they looked after their kids in the 1st place this wouldn't happen
    • Don't care

I did not know that you can be prosecuted over that.

I am not a dog lover... so you can guess my answer to that one.

Great.

Of course you can its called animal cruelty.

Why should the same not apply to parents in extreme cases.

I did not know that you can be prosecuted over that.

I am not a dog lover... so you can guess my answer to that one.

Are you telling me that parents should be prosecuted and therefore possibly making the child parentless??? :confused:

Great.

No I'm saying that if animal welfare can see it's neglect it's high time child welfare caught up and took it's blinkers off.

But there is a citizen who impacts on another person's life: the parent of the child who feeds it such a poor diet that it becomes obese. The child invariably has no power to do anything to protect his/herself from this. Consequently, outside agencies have to become involved.

Though, this is the thing. A child can say "no thanks, I don't want any more" when full. Where do you draw that line between neglect?

Many kids do this, and it worked the other way too. That they are malnourished just because they think skinny is normal. Is that neglect too?

No I'm saying that if animal welfare can see it's neglect it's high time child welfare caught up and took it's blinkers off.

All I am saying is, keep it in perspective. There are many more worthy cases of child neglect that is even more important than the feeding alone.

I would hate to think that if a person or couple have family history of clinical obesities to then be prosecuted and made out as a criminal for loving or feeding their child.

Though, this is the thing. A child can say "no thanks, I don't want any more" when full. Where do you draw that line between neglect?

Many kids do this, and it worked the other way too. That they are malnourished just because they think skinny is normal. Is that neglect too?

It isn't always easy to draw the line between reasonable care and neglect, but the kind of child obesity we're talking about is where there are clear and obvious dangers to a childs physical wellbeing - a child being unable to walk comfortably, the onset of diabetes and so on. Most parents are able to notice and do something about their childs health before it gets to that stage, thank goodness. For those that can't or won't then I think it's absolutely reasonable for medics and social workers to step in and exert some influence.

It isn't always easy to draw the line between reasonable care and neglect, but the kind of child obesity we're talking about is where there are clear and obvious dangers to a childs physical wellbeing - a child being unable to walk comfortably, the onset of diabetes and so on. Most parents are able to notice and do something about their childs health before it gets to that stage, thank goodness. For those that can't or won't then I think it's absolutely reasonable for medics and social workers to step in and exert some influence.

Yet, others are already jumping to conclusions. I have read one comment here made by someone to say that the parent tried their best, but the child remained overweight. Now, where do you draw the line?.... Why does it not work? Obviously something does not seem to add up.

A lot of cases may not necessarily be overfeeding food, but more emotional, and that kids who are bullied may turn to food. That could just be any food. Junk or not. Comfort eating is also an epidemic too.

If you're talking about anorexia then no, thats a mental health issue that most parents would want to deal with. I presume the discovery of the illness in a particularly young child would involve an investigation to make sure the child wasn't being starved.

If you're talking about anorexia then no, thats a mental health issue that most parents would want to deal with. I presume the discovery of the illness in a particularly young child would involve an investigation to make sure the child wasn't being starved.

Ok, so... are you saying that the amount of food is controlled by the child...?

Yet, others are already jumping to conclusions. I have read one comment here made by someone to say that the parent tried their best, but the child remained overweight. Now, where do you draw the line?.... Why does it not work? Obviously something does not seem to add up.

A lot of cases may not necessarily be overfeeding food, but more emotional, and that kids who are bullied may turn to food. That could just be any food. Junk or not. Comfort eating is also an epidemic too.

Who would provide this comfort food?

The mothers say it is too easy to blame parents.

Vikki Sansom, who has two young children, said: "I think there is a big difference between not feeding and overfeeding.

"It's really hard for parents and it's wrong to say that's neglect"

Was Vikki trying for some sort of stupid award with this statement?

Archived