SO, Child Obesity IS "a Form of Neglect" Shame on YOU!

Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?

• Yes
    • No
    • If they looked after their kids in the 1st place this wouldn't happen
    • Don't care

Ok, so... are you saying that the amount of food is controlled by the child...?

Please look up Anorexia Nervosa on the net. It is a severe mental illness and in no shape or form belongs on this thread.

I suffered as a teenager and it was through no fault of my parents at all.

Yes the food is controlled by the child but that is because they are already too ill to see reason.

A lot of cases may not necessarily be overfeeding food, but more emotional,

Being upset doesn't make you fat. It might make you eat more, but the food has to come from somewhere, and in the case of a child, it's from their parents.

Though, this is the thing. A child can say "no thanks, I don't want any more" when full. Where do you draw that line between neglect?

Many kids do this, and it worked the other way too. That they are malnourished just because they think skinny is normal. Is that neglect too?

The science doesn't back up your view. Until the age of two, children know when they are full. Afterwards, what constitutes a portion is down to learned behaviour so if the parents overfeed, then the child is likely to overeat. And it's not just portion size. It's the quality of the food too. If a child is routinely fed rubbish, it's unlikely to say: mummy can I have some organic broccoli please?

So, the parent does impact on the child.

Who would provide this comfort food?

So you would withhold food from the child? Even if he was hungry? I find it all too bizarre.

To me, I have always lived in a house where there is food. I don't take food when I am not hungry. Yet, I know how to feed myself if am hungry. How are kids supposed to learn?

I am also from a parenting style that do not put the exact amount on my plate and be expected to eat it all. I can choose to eat what I like, and is encouraged to eat a bit of everything.

To me, respecting the choice of individuals is not neglect. Why is there this "I must control" everyone's lives come from? I do not understand that. I really don't. It's almost like ganging up on individuals, and making a big fuss of it. At the end of the day it is their children, their lives... their reasons.

So how far do you extend this argument? Let them overfeed them, let them underfeed them, let them smack them, let them beat them, let them send them to work sweeping chimneys?

Why should they need to justify to you? It is obvious and shown by myself that how tetchy many had been just because I wrote something which hit a nerve about THEIR child. So, on that basis and understanding, how fair is it to marginalise those who have obese kids?

They can't justify making their children ill, hence why it's abuse.[quote[

Whether I like it or not, I am rightly to voice my opinion, am I not?

Yes, but if it's controversial (or misguided) expect to get shot down

Whether rightly or not, I do not think that you as a citizen has any rights over such issues as other people's lives when it does not directly impact on you.

So you're saying that unless the child themself objects, that everyone should stay out of it... see my earlier comments about how far you extend this argument.

A lot of people live in very different circumstances than you think they do. Not all social care reaches the people that gets it. That's the bottomline.

Doesn't mean that the social services shouldn't continue to try to reach everyone who needs it.

So you would withhold food from the child? Even if he was hungry? I find it all too bizarre.

To me, I have always lived in a house where there is food. I don't take food when I am not hungry. Yet, I know how to feed myself if am hungry. How are kids supposed to learn?

I am also from a parenting style that do not put the exact amount on my plate and be expected to eat it all. I can choose to eat what I like, and is encouraged to eat a bit of everything.

Comfort food is not eaten when a person is hungry, it is an extra food that doesn't form part of the normal meal pattern.

No-one is expecting a child to go hungry but if they have already eaten a normal portion then they need no more.

I wouldn't give a child more food than it needed, comfort eating has nothing to do with hunger. Kids learn by being taught usually and not just by being left to their own devices.

The science doesn't back up your view. Until the age of two, children know when they are full. Afterwards, what constitutes a portion is down to learned behaviour so if the parents overfeed, then the child is likely to overeat. And it's not just portion size. It's the quality of the food too. If a child is routinely fed rubbish, it's unlikely to say: mummy can I have some organic broccoli please?

So, the parent does impact on the child.

A lot of children have a lot of baby fat, cos all they learn is to increase their own size as a baby. You see many children run this amount of fat off and continually to develop their own level of fat cells too. I've read that the number of fat cells developed from childhood will mean that you will carry it throughout your whole life. Yet, some fat cells are just enlarged a lot more than the number of fat cells. So why or how does obesity truly happen for some kids?? Which some people carry through to their adulthood?

Yet, some fat cells are just enlarged a lot more than the number of fat cells. So why or how does obesity truly happen for some kids?? Which some people carry through to their adulthood?

I'm hoping I'll live long enough to understand that section of quoted Post! :huh:

A lot of children have a lot of baby fat, cos all they learn is to increase their own size as a baby. You see many children run this amount of fat off and continually to develop their own level of fat cells too. I've read that the number of fat cells developed from childhood will mean that you will carry it throughout your whole life. Yet, some fat cells are just enlarged a lot more than the number of fat cells. So why or how does obesity truly happen for some kids?? Which some people carry through to their adulthood?

If a child or an adult overeats either through there own doing or their parents they will get fat. Baby fat is usually a couple of pounds not a couple of stone.

Archived