SO, Child Obesity IS "a Form of Neglect" Shame on YOU!

Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?

• Yes
    • No
    • If they looked after their kids in the 1st place this wouldn't happen
    • Don't care

It's a bit harsh to say that about mothers, when they love their children. I can see it all now. Paranoid moms who are distressed and therefore increase the cases of depression. Great.

I think it's very insensitive to say that it is child abuse. :loopy:

Yes, it is far better to let parents bring up a kid with an eating disorder that will reduce the quality and length of life than risk being insensitive and perhaps even upsetting someone.

What's more it will only make the situation worse. I mean, what choice would any mum have, in the face of such insensitive critism, other than to seek immediate comfort in a packet of digestives, several bags of crisp and a Walls Vienetta? society would effectively be force feeding them and forcing them to set an even worse example to their kids. Crazy! :loopy:

All I am saying is that, some people can be a certain way, and that they are the product of their own environments.

For others to then go and critise them is somewhat extremely offensive from where I am sitting! I would be horrified that so many people likes to follow the witchhunt style of attitude on matters which are my own affairs and no-one else's.

I would argue if someone is ill equipped socially, educationally and morally to have children then they shouldn't have them.

"We don't know any better" just doesn't wash with me.

If I am going on holiday, or buying a car, I do some research first. If I am having a child, possibly the most important thing a person can ever do, then I will damn prepare myself for it.

Perhaps the 'dummies' range of books can bring one out on basic parental responsibility.

P46 - "Don’t continually feed your 4 year old Mcdonalds, Haribos and blue pop"

You can hear the jaws hitting the grounds in awe-struck astonishment from here...

Bago. The parents that are being targeted are parents that have been informed that their children's diets are wrong, have been informed on how to change the diet for the better, have been informed of the consequences if they continue with this diet AND still they continue to let their kids eat junk.

I don't know if you are being naive or contrary. It might help if you actually read and digested Mod Mans comments.

I thought that this thread was about the article that the Original Poster wrote? Since when has it become a slanging match about bad parenting etc etc etc? Then it becomes an assumption of certain types of parents etc etc etc.... :rolleyes:

Guest Mod_Man

What gets my goat is that, people are being so unsupportive of parents overall. Blaming is easy.

Of course blaming is easy, it's the parent's fault, there are good foods as well as bad foods available, a pear only costs 20p, a Mars bar costs 40p, parent makes a crap decision if you ask me.

Maybe a lot of people dumb down technologies, but just how many people nowadays are technologically savvy?

What that has got to do with anything, I'm not sure but if lots of people are tech savvy, why not get on the net and do some research on food?

It is not always about shutting the child up. Some parents are weary of their children and do keep them indoors out of protectiveness for them.

Yes they are, they seem to be afraid of all the paedophiles that have suddenly appeared out of nowhere in the past 10 years. It's these same over protective parents that are damaging their child's development, the streets are no less safer than they were 40 years ago when it comes to children, if the streets were riddled with paedophiles and child abductors, do you thinks so much fuss would have been made of the Madeline Mcgann case?

Yet, how many adults would like to see a child "play" and be unruly in society as a whole? I think it's too easy to see that they will be also criticised and told off by being unruly. :confused:

Some people do criticise kids for playing near their house and I don't like that too, it happened when we were kids, it didn't stop me and I'm sure it didn't stop many others.

I'm done here, there is no need for children to be fat, it really is as simple as that.

How many kids do you really believe are going to end up working in the games industry?

Teach them how to use a computer (to perform research, code HTML/another PL, work with imaging SW, use video editing SW......) rather than sitting them infront of the lastest CONsol?

I think you give kids less credit than you think. How many people who are into "gadgets" and figure out how things work are independent thinkers?

A lot of the fighting and game-playing that goes on makes a child think and be resilient in their aim to win the game. As are they in life? It is not entirely mind-numbing. :rolleyes: Logic, reasoning, makes you think.. are all part of a brain's activity.

Maybe a poll should be added

do you think that filling kids with junk thus causing obesity and malnutrition is neglect?

do you think that it's perfectly ok and has nothing to do with anybody else that kids could suffer long term health problems?

I thought that this thread was about the article that the Original Poster wrote? Since when has it become a slanging match about bad parenting etc etc etc? Then it becomes an assumption of certain types of parents etc etc etc.... :rolleyes:

How does what you have said here relate to my post (that you have quoted)?

Of course blaming is easy, it's the parent's fault, there are good foods as well as bad foods available, a pear only costs 20p, a Mars bar costs 40p, parent makes a crap decision if you ask me.

A pear is not 20p! It certainly is not that price unless you get at from the market. At trade prices.

I do not think that is the average cost of a pear from a supermarket. Please, also don't say that there are no difference in geographical pricing too. I found out the same item in this city cost differently in different regions alone. How many people actually is aware of such things like that?

What that has got to do with anything, I'm not sure but if lots of people are tech savvy, why not get on the net and do some research on food?

You also assume that many families still have access to the Net. A lot of people do not have access to such informations! Especially low income families.

Yes they are, they seem to be afraid of all the paedophiles that have suddenly appeared out of nowhere in the past 10 years. It's these same over protective parents that are damaging their child's development, the streets are no less safer than they were 40 years ago when it comes to children, if the streets were riddled with paedophiles and child abductors, do you thinks so much fuss would have been made of the Madeline Mcgann case?

I think that the Madeline case is a wide hysteria over situations which many parents can find themselves in. Cos that is how the world is.

It's like, how come so many people were crying over Princess Diana? I still think that the Madeline case is truly blowing out of proportion.

Some people do criticise kids for playing near their house and I don't like that too, it happened when we were kids, it didn't stop me and I'm sure it didn't stop many others.

Well, many parents who are trying to "conform" and not want their child be criticised may do so... I find that somewhat wrong. To allow others dictate how you live your life.

I'm done here, there is no need for children to be fat, it really is as simple as that.

I do not think that there is a need for anything. If children are fat, then children are fat. Life is what you make of it, and to be around criticising others, when peoples own lives are not in line... is just a tad off imho.

I am not saying that kids should be fat. I am with the camp that this child obseity issue is NOT an abuse! It shouldn't even be classed as an abuse. The cases of the 4 stone child is not common in this country. I doubt that it is common everywhere either. So, it is not just the food, nor the lifestyle. There had been articles about "clinical obesities" whereby it is a person's born genetics. To think that it is pure food alone is absolutely ludicrous. BMA should know better than that.

A pear is not 20p! It certainly is not that price unless you get at from the market. At trade prices.

I do not think that is the average cost of a pear from a supermarket. Please, also don't say that there are no difference in geographical pricing too. I found out the same item in this city cost differently in different regions alone. How many people actually is aware of such things like that?

You also assume that many families still have access to the Net. A lot of people do not have access to such informations! Especially low income families.

I think that the Madeline case is a wide hysteria over situations which many parents can find themselves in. Cos that is how the world is.

It's like, how come so many people were crying over Princess Diana? I still think that the Madeline case is truly blowing out of proportion.

Well, many parents who are trying to "conform" and not want their child be criticised may do so... I find that somewhat wrong. To allow others dictate how you live your life.

I do not think that there is a need for anything. If children are fat, then children are fat. Life is what you make of it, and to be around criticising others, when peoples own lives are not in line... is just a tad off imho.

I am not saying that kids should be fat. I am with the camp that this child obseity issue is NOT an abuse! It shouldn't even be classed as an abuse. The cases of the 4 stone child is not common in this country. I doubt that it is common everywhere either. So, it is not just the food, nor the lifestyle. There had been articles about "clinical obesities" whereby it is a person's born genetics. To think that it is pure food alone is absolutely ludicrous. BMA should know better than that.

Bago - by your reckoning, filling a small child with harmful additive laden junk food, and not caring a jot about how much they exercise ISN'T abusvie.

Could you tell me what it actually is? Clumsy? Naive?

Bago - by your reckoning, filling a small child with harmful additive laden junk food, and not caring a jot about how much they exercise ISN'T abusvie.

Could you tell me what it actually is? Clumsy? Naive?

For the record. I did not say that it is right to feed a child just manufactured junk food!

I hate seeing some scientific "loose" facts being scrutinised and accepted as the "social truth in the bible of social acceptances"! :confused:

Archived