SO, Child Obesity IS "a Form of Neglect" Shame on YOU!

Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?

• Yes
    • No
    • If they looked after their kids in the 1st place this wouldn't happen
    • Don't care

I think you give kids less credit than you think..

I think you know nothing about what I think, nor about me personally.

The kids here have got the PS2, Xbox, DVD players, TVs, PC. But we don't use them as "babysitters".

I notice you failed to respond to:

There is indeed nothing wrong with a child living off carbohydrates.

Where does the child get the essential oils/fats from? What about protiens? Vitimins? Calcium......

"We don't know any better" just doesn't wash with me.

The amazing thing is....

When we genuinly "knew no better", obesity was non-existant:)

I thought that this thread was about the article that the Original Poster wrote? Since when has it become a slanging match about bad parenting etc etc etc? Then it becomes an assumption of certain types of parents etc etc etc.... :rolleyes:

You said there was nothing wrong with feeding a child chips (a diet of purely carbohydrates will not harm them). Which was in defence of bad parents.

...If children are fat, then children are fat. Life is what you make of it...

That is wrong on so many levels. The parents are responsible for making good decisions about every aspect of a young child's life, and that includes feeding it a nutritionally sound diet and ensuring that it gets sufficient exercise. In the absence of the child having sufficient knowledge and being responsible for the weekly shopping, it's the parents' responsibility to keep their child healthy. An obese child fed on McDonalds and veging in front of the TV might be happy (until it's bullied at school and can't walk without getting out of breath), but it's not a healthy one.

...There had been articles about "clinical obesities" whereby it is a person's born genetics. To think that it is pure food alone is absolutely ludicrous. BMA should know better than that.

I would put money on the number of children who are overweight or obese due to genuine genetic factors being tiny compared to those who are overweight or obese due to lifestyle factors imposed upon them by their parents.

I voted 'yes'. Ultimately, parents are responsible for educating their children with regard to healthy eating and exercise. There's a wealth of resources and help around for those who might find it difficult to do so.

I would argue that there are cases where children become obese despite their parent's best efforts otherwise, but in the case cited in the OP of parents smuggling ginormous chocolate bars into a child that's been hospitalised C/O obesity then that's clearly bang out of order.

I think you are the one that is winding people up here. Drumming their emotions, and showing their truthful resentments towards certain types of people in this country.

how can i be! i saw it on the BBC website and put it no here.

it's all about BAD parents. we have to many BAD parents in the UK, just look at the youth of today, will clearly show you parents have NO control over there young, and dont bring them up right. i mean how hard is it to get your kids active at a young age, and give them some direction in life.

I would argue that there are cases where children become obese despite their parent's best efforts otherwise,

I really don't understand how children could become obese despite their parents! The parents control the food that's bought for the family and the money they give to their children.

How can a child become obese if it doesn't have access to unhealthy food or the money to buy it?

Dozy

Guest Mod_Man
If people are that worried about children being neglected, then they should take control and vote for better school dinners in schools! Did you know that junk food are also served in many schools too? :roll: They are cheap, they are readily available. "Our" children eats it.

From the days of "crap school food" to the more convenient fast food. That has changed for the worst...and how many people actually realise this important factor? It is not always parents and what they feed them at home either. Just how many parents monitor their children's diets and feed them 2 decent regular meals a day?

Oh, also... just how many people actually eat truly freshly made food? Please tell me most people who are actually writing on this thread actually do not buy the readily meals that the likes of M&S churns out. Cos that is also loaded with additives too. Despite whatever main ingredients it came from as fresh food.

The fact is that we do not eat "fresh" food in this country. How much meat are manufactured crap too? With its high salt water content to make it look lovely?? :loopy:

Now you're switching the blame on schools, why can't you accept some parents don't look after their children. If schools do only provide junk food then why not send them to school with sandwiches? Jamie Oliver tried getting schools to serve up healthy food, he seems to be doing a good job too, alas there were the chip butty, pie munching mothers who took chips to the school gates, that proves the attitude of some parents right there.

I live alone, sometimes I eat produced crap, sometimes I eat fresh stuff, it really depends on my mood, the main thing I do is only eat when hungry and exercise regularly. There is no such thing as bad food, just bad diets.

how can i be! i saw it on the BBC website and put it no here.

it's all about BAD parents. we have to many BAD parents in the UK, just look at the youth of today, will clearly show you parents have NO control over there young, and dont bring them up right. i mean how hard is it to get your kids active at a young age, and give them some direction in life.

blades, whilst I agree with your OP I have to take issue with some of what you say there....looking at the youth of today doesn't show you that 'parents have no control over there young' (sic) it shows you that some parents have no control over their young.

blades, whilst I agree with your OP I have to take issue with some of what you say there....looking at th youth of today doesn't show you that 'parents have no control over there young' (sic) it shows you that some parents have no control over their young.

yes i see where your coming from, or there scared of upsetting them

i think bago is taking this to heart. i reckon she either was or has an obese child.

your missing the point here bago. its for children who have severe health problems because they are being overfed by parents who have been informed of the risk and dont change the childs diet.

Archived