SO, Child Obesity IS "a Form of Neglect" Shame on YOU!

Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should parents be blamed for childhood obesity?

• Yes
    • No
    • If they looked after their kids in the 1st place this wouldn't happen
    • Don't care

I really don't understand how children could become obese despite their parents! The parents control the food that's bought for the family and the money they give to their children.

How can a child become obese if it doesn't have access to unhealthy food or the money to buy it?

Dozy

I was thinking mainly about non-resident parents Dozy. They don't always have the access to be able to make a significant enough contribution to a childs diet and lifestyle.

My daughter spends a good deal of time at her mothers where she gets fed a pretty poor diet and doesn't get a deal of exercise. Fortunately she also spends enough time with me so that I can feed her properly and get her out and about. If I only saw her once a fortnight it might be a different story.

I think you know nothing about what I think, nor about me personally.

Sorry, when has this become personal? Do you know anything about the people that you talk of??

The kids here have got the PS2, Xbox, DVD players, TVs, PC. But we don't use them as "babysitters".

Why do you presume that every parent uses them as a babysitting tool? A lot of my peers were brought up with such things too, do I see them as obese beings? No. So...what is the difference here? Actually, many people who I work with in IT possibly had a great interest in technology as a whole. It's many a child's dream to work in the games industry and how many millions do they make per year? Do you see many people in the games industry as obese? The games industry is probably a billion pound economy.

Where does the child get the essential oils/fats from? What about protiens? Vitimins? Calcium......

Good question. Maybe if I asked the parents rather than assume then I will know for sure that they don't take any vitamins?

The amazing thing is....

When we genuinly "knew no better", obesity was non-existant:)

Exactly... so why presume that many nowadays know so much about food, when even adults don't? I asked people how many people actually buy convenient food themselves rather than to cook from fresh and from scratch. They are still manufactured goods.

You said there was nothing wrong with feeding a child chips (a diet of purely carbohydrates will not harm them). Which was in defence of bad parents.

1) The person who posted that presume that the parent just feed the child pure chips. I disputed that and said what is wrong with chips. I do not presume that they feed the child just chips.

2) If the person cannot even understand the difference between fresh chips and manufactured chips, then why is he going on about how crap parents are??

The irony.

I was thinking mainly about non-resident parents Dozy. They don't always have the access to be able to make a significant enough contribution to a childs diet and lifestyle.

My daughter spends a good deal of time at her mothers where she gets fed a pretty poor diet and doesn't get a deal of exercise. Fortunately she also spends enough time with me so that I can feed her properly and get her out and about. If I only saw her once a fortnight it might be a different story.

OK - I can understand that. It must be really difficult for you, because children (and adults, come to that) do tend to prefer the unhealthy option, especially when it's so heavily advertised and has become such an accepted part of everyday life.

Dozy

OK - I can understand that. It must be really difficult for you, because children (and adults, come to that) do tend to prefer the unhealthy option, especially when it's so heavily advertised and has become such an accepted part of everyday life.

Dozy

KFC Big mac's etc are ok as treats now and again..

Now you're switching the blame on schools, why can't you accept some parents don't look after their children. If schools do only provide junk food then why not send them to school with sandwiches? Jamie Oliver tried getting schools to serve up healthy food, he seems to be doing a good job too, alas there were the chip butty, pie munching mothers who took chips to the school gates, that proves the attitude of some parents right there.

I live alone, sometimes I eat produced crap, sometimes I eat fresh stuff, it really depends on my mood, the main thing I do is only eat when hungry and exercise regularly. There is no such thing as bad food, just bad diets.

Ooooh, *now* you are changing your tune and say that it is not junk food, but bad "diets"?? Hm... There is such a thing as bad food.

Since so many are so against at the parents, then why blame the parents and not blame the system. Cos you can change the system, and not change the parents! Leave the parents alone, and stop criticising them.

At least Jamie Oliver highlighted a good issue. He is a chef, and he did something about his community. Bravo to him.

I live alone too, and I would never in my wildest dream criticise others for their "bad life skills" when my own is not even up to scratch. For others who actually live on junk food also, and buys high quality manufactured food like sandwiches from M&S or even their ready made meals are just hypocritical, or is blind to the knowledge of what is healthy food.

I disputed that and said what is wrong with chips.

That's not what you said:(

You said "There is indeed nothing wrong with a child living off carbohydrates." which reads "feeding a child on a diet of only carbohydrates is not a bad thing".

Good question. Maybe if I asked the parents rather than assume then I will know for sure that they don't take any vitamins?

You never mentioned anything about suppliments.

KFC Big mac's etc are ok as treats now and again..

:confused: That's classic.

Isn't rewarding junk food means that kids will see it as rewards and wants more of it when they reach adulthood, cos the association is there from when young?

:confused: That's classic.

Isn't rewarding junk food means that kids will see it as rewards and wants more of it when they reach adulthood, cos the association is there from when young?

err no. i like the odd big mac but know its unhealthy so limit how many i have to about once a month. i was taught that as a child it was bad for you and you shouldnt have it to often..

Of course blaming is easy, it's the parent's fault, there are good foods as well as bad foods available, a pear only costs 20p, a Mars bar costs 40p, parent makes a crap decision if you ask me.

the streets are no less safer than they were 40 years ago

I'm done here, there is no need for children to be fat, it really is as simple as that.

1) If you can get a pear for 20p good luck to you but you certainly can't from our local fruit shop.

2) The streets are a lot less safe from a vehicle point of view with parked cars blocking the view of the road and cars (and delivery lorries) travelling at very inappropiate speeds for narrow residential streets.

3)"There is no need for children to be fat, it really is as simple as that". What a clearly defined, simple, black and white world you inhabit. I have a friend with a daughter who is overweight - she gets plenty of exercise and mum is wise enough to be supplying her with healthy food. Yet still she remains overweight and no-one can work out why. She's too young to be able to buy it for herself, she has no means of hiding any extra food (and if she had it would have to be an awful lot of food) and her mother is at her wits end.

Archived