Old driving instructors and lessons!!!

My instructor was R.A (never found out his name) Smith. But weirdly, I remember the reggie number of the blue Nissan Cherry he taught me in. D622 OWB

I learned to drive in the mid-60's in a Ford Anglia at JSB School of Motoring which was at the bottom of Ecclesall Road opposite Ward's Brewery - well before the road widening etc. - just a small shop.

JSB was Stan Barraclough who was a retired police officer. Can't say he was a man one would be endeared to but I passed first time and am grateful for his tutelage.

I think a lesson was £1 5s 0d.

Passed my test in 1982 with a bloke called Ted Wood & drove his 950cc fiesta. Failed twice at Handsworth & passed at Manor Top after breaking speed limit to get there as I was driving around Handsworth & he forgot I was at the Manor centre for the test. lessons was £5 / hour to start & finished at £6/hour ......always got more than a hour each lesson.

• 2 weeks later...
Passed my test in 1982 with a bloke called Ted Wood & drove his 950cc fiesta. Failed twice at Handsworth & passed at Manor Top after breaking speed limit to get there as I was driving around Handsworth & he forgot I was at the Manor centre for the test. lessons was £5 / hour to start & finished at £6/hour ......always got more than a hour each lesson.

They should have paid you to drive that piece of tosh! :D

that man was my dad! i had the ferraris then...................

and yes, he always gave more than an hour to EVERYONE, that's why we had to go to bloody butlin's for holidays while the other instructor's families went to Spain or somewhere exotic (for those days!)!

he really enjoyed it tho, and I passed first time so can't complain!