Flat tyre...what would you do?

you have a flat tyre what would you do ?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. you have a flat tyre what would you do ?

• get it sorted yourself im not frightened of a bit of muck
    • immeadiatly reach for the mobile phone and get help
    • sit sobbing by the side of the road and hope someone takes pity

I called the aa out when I had free break down cover on my car (it was under 3 yr old so got it free) It was a slow puncture too, so I let a bit more air out before he arrived :) I wouldnt call them out now I pay for the cover, I would sooner get a no call out discount and do it myself.

i have to say (blushes) I wouldn;t want to change my own tyre - I know, technically how its done (never actually done it though) but I wouldn't trust myself to do it correctly. I pay RAC - so I'd ring them and get them to do it - its what I pay em for - plus my vehicle is a camper (not a typical car) so I wouldn't want to risk it crashing down on my hands with a dodgy jack.

I wouldn't have had a clue until the other day when i watched my OH do mine so i could get it to the garage for a new tyre! He had right trouble with the nuts(tee hee) so i'd wouldn'y have had a prayer if i'd have been on my own or in the dark..... or worse......in the dark on my own with no mobile...........arghhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Anyway. i can safety say, i'd give it a go now, don't know how successful i'd be.

I would try to do it myself... with my dad or someone on speakphone guiding me through it because really I don't have much clue about how to do it! :blush: I've been told how I would have to do it before but have forgotten as I have never physically done it before. Think they definately should include it in driving test/lessons if they haven't already... and I should have a practice...

I change my own sometimes at home where I have a trolley jack, but when out on the road and dressed for work the damage to my clothing would cost more than the cost of calling out the RACV [our AA equivalent]. I must also admit that as I get older lifting the wheels of my large AWD is getting to be a struggle and I am still fairly strong. My wife would have no hope. When we go outback I carry the trolley jack and do my own because the Kangaroos just look on and won't offer to help and you can be 100Km [60 miles] or more from the nearest town.

The only way of getting the spare over the lip of the boot of my sports car would be to roll it up on to your chest - something you only do if dressed for it.

well, at the moment, I'd wonder who's car I was in and how the hell did I end up in it? :hihi:

here's the thing, I've had to change wheels a few times, and it NEVER happens on a nice, quiet, flat road, on a warm summer's afternoon, no it happens on a dark, wet and windy night, halfway up the hill from normanton springs roundabout into town :rant:

I saw a young girl on the M1 recently in her gladrags, on her own with her car jacked up and changing a wheel herself.

I know it's appallingly sexist but it was an unusual thing to see and I was most impressed.

I think it's illegal to change a tyre on the motorway. Not sure though:suspect:

I once did it on the last motorway as you're heading towards Newquay. (it was the offside tyre too), and if that wasn't bad enough, my passengers got out and took photos of me changing it!:loopy::hihi: The innocence of youth, it was a few years back. Don't think I'd try that again.

I always carry a foot pump in the boot and nine times out of ten if I put some air in then I have ample time to get to a tyre place.

The worst thing you can do, if you see a nail is to take it out, wait till you get there and let them take it out.

Archived