Flat tyre...what would you do?

you have a flat tyre what would you do ?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. you have a flat tyre what would you do ?

• get it sorted yourself im not frightened of a bit of muck
    • immeadiatly reach for the mobile phone and get help
    • sit sobbing by the side of the road and hope someone takes pity

As a female, I think I know in theory of to change a wheel, loosen wheel nuts, jack it up, take wheel nuts out and wheel off, put new one on, tighten wheel nuts, release jack and then further tighten the wheel nuts as much as possible. Is that right?

However actually doing it may be another thing, I do not think I would be able to loosen the wheel nuts myself. So my answer to your poll would be: 2- call OH for help. If he was at work and could not get there right away I would 3- sit in the car sobbing lol

I wonder how many people are aware that some cars are made with left hand thread wheel nuts on one side and right hand ones on the other? If you don't know what you are doing it is probably better to call out a trained mechanic than to snap off a few wheel studs by turning them the wrong way.

I wonder how many people are aware that some cars are made with left hand thread wheel nuts on one side and right hand ones on the other? If you don't know what you are doing it is probably better to call out a trained mechanic than to snap off a few wheel studs by turning them the wrong way.

Which cars? Just wondering as I've never come across one.

I think I'd figure it out when it felt like it was tightening instead of loosening though! (It's not a like a trained mechanic is going to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of models with a left hand thread anyway).

dont understand why we get these sort of threads!!

I don't pay for annual recovery and roadside repair, to do the job myself, by the look of some of the posts if the engine died some folk would push the car to the nearest garage. :loopy:

I don't pay for annual recovery and roadside repair, to do the job myself, by the look of some of the posts if the engine died some folk would push the car to the nearest garage. :loopy:

You'd rather wait an hour for someone to come and change a wheel than just do it yourself? :huh:

Which cars? Just wondering as I've never come across one.

I think I'd figure it out when it felt like it was tightening instead of loosening though! (It's not a like a trained mechanic is going to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of models with a left hand thread anyway).

Quite a few Alfas Chryslers Mazdas Lancias Bentleys Rolls Royce, some Transit vans, lots of American cars.

There isn't much difference in busting a gut trying to undo a nut that has been air hammered on by the tyre shop and doing the same by turning the nut the wrong way. The difference is if the road side assist break a stud it is up to them to get it fixed. If you do it it is down to you. Have you ever tried buying left hand threaded bolts in the Peak District on a Sunday night?

Mind you I think a guy who makes a living by being called out to change wheels will have a rough idea about which cars have left hand threads. I take it that isn't your profession.

If you're strong enough to tighten a wheel nut sufficiently to snap the stud, you're using too long a spanner, or you are very strong indeed. Probably both.

I've never heard of a car with left hand thread on one side either. What would the advantage of this be? Wheels coming off is not exactly common, and having left hand thread would do nothing to help anyway as far as I can tell.

I can change a tyre, but in 19 years of driving I've only done three, and one of those was for someone looking clueless in a service station. That said, I have one of those tyre-weld inflating can things in the boot of the car so I can avoid using the horrible space-saver spare if at all possible.

Quite a few Alfas Chryslers Mazdas Lancias Bentleys Rolls Royce, some Transit vans, lots of American cars.

There isn't much difference in busting a gut trying to undo a nut that has been air hammered on by the tyre shop and doing the same by turning the nut the wrong way. The difference is if the road side assist break a stud it is up to them to get it fixed. If you do it it is down to you. Have you ever tried buying left hand threaded bolts in the Peak District on a Sunday night?

Mind you I think a guy who makes a living by being called out to change wheels will have a rough idea about which cars have left hand threads. I take it that isn't your profession.

It isn't, but nobody makes a living just changing wheels...

I was aware of left hand thread, but thought it was used on commercial vehicles mainly. I've had the wheels of quite a few cars, but never one of the makes you mention.

If you're strong enough to tighten a wheel nut sufficiently to snap the stud, you're using too long a spanner, or you are very strong indeed. Probably both.

I've never heard of a car with left hand thread on one side either. What would the advantage of this be? Wheels coming off is not exactly common, and having left hand thread would do nothing to help anyway as far as I can tell.

I can change a tyre, but in 19 years of driving I've only done three, and one of those was for someone looking clueless in a service station. That said, I have one of those tyre-weld inflating can things in the boot of the car so I can avoid using the horrible space-saver spare if at all possible.

If you read some of the posts on here people advocate buying long extension bars to help undo wheel nuts. Once you start using a 30 inch lever you can snap studs like carrots,

The theory of left hand nuts on one side of a vehicle is that they shouldn't become slack in use. It is very common on commercial vehicles.

I had a Reliant Scimitar some years ago. It had massive alloy "Wolf Race" wheels and the nuts were always coming undone. I ended up putting Loctite on them.

I own 5 cars at the moment, one of which has lefthanded wheel nuts on the nearside.

You'd rather wait an hour for someone to come and change a wheel than just do it yourself? :huh:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1513468/AA-warns-on-peril-of-the-hard-shoulder.html

Motorists who stay with their cars after a breakdown on the motorway are putting their lives at risk, the AA has said.

An estimated 250 people are killed or injured on the hard shoulder every year.

Archived